J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Im new to this forum, and Im planing to purchase a Z24.
Its a 5spd, with 190'000km, looks nice, but it has a little bit of rust on the door where the side skirt is connected to. It seems as though the water must have built up, thereby resulting in a bit of rust. I know that It would not be hard to fix, so I just wanted to know if there are some things that I should check on it before buying it.

Is 190'000km a lot for a 92??
Its from a private seller, so only 7% tax. Their askin about $5000 (canadian) for it.
So if anyone could answer at least some of these questions, and tell me things to watch for when buying one of these cars, I would very much appreciate it.

THanks; John

[ This Message was edited by: johnyg on 2001-10-08 23:31 ]

·
Registered
364 Posts
Take the car out, turn the wheel sharply while driving...listen for a bunch of clicks...that would mean a CV joint is busted. Check the shock tower in the trunk, make sure it's not rusted out. That's all I can think of...anyone else?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would say that is a but high for price and also why is there tax on a private sale???

i bought my 88 for 800 bucks!!! cdn also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
yeah i have to say that i think that price is a little bit high for 190,000km especially if there is rust. I got my '90Z with 120,000 miles for $1650 US. and ther wee only minor air conditioning problems with it. But i would definently check the CB joint because that is expensive to fix. Also make sure it hasent been in any major accidents because the repainted parts will fade much faster than the true paint.

·
Registered
67 Posts
price sounds high, but i paid a lot for my cav too, $1k US for the car, $1k for repairs, then $$ here and there, get the car checked out at a garage before you pay anything. whats 5000bux CN equilvalant to US$

peace

·
Registered
129 Posts
well i payed more then any of u.. i bought from a dealer with 128k on it and it cost me $4500 and thats with talking him down from 6k for my 88.. my advise is wait.. that $5000 sounds way too much. besides with that much cash i would buy a better car. something older that will go up in value.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for your imput

Well, i bought the car, but passenger side doorhandle was hard to open, and it had a bit of rust where the plastic on the side is attached to it. SO the guy went down to $4700
About $300 in tax, because here in manitoba, we even have to pay one tax even if its a private seller. All together, with plate, a fairly good insurance and tax, it came together to be about $5700. After I brought her home, I took the plastic off on one side where there was rust, and guess what?? There was almost none. Also turns out that it was the only place in the car where there was rust. Shock towers looked great.
Took her for a test drive, was solid, handeld good.
So far im happy with it. My heart stopped when the engine check light came on for a second after driving it for about 2 hours, but else shes great.
Drove her to school today, and since its a red car, it gets attention real easy (cops see it alot easier too ). Everyone has been telling me what a great lookin car it is, and thats always nice to hear
One thing though, there is a governer that kicks in at 180km/h, and RPM gauge is ONLY at 4000 RMp
i bet i could do 210. By the way, anyone know where its hidden?? (so i can rip it out )

Only downside is that im only 16, so I had to spend me livesavings on it, plus i gotta spend the next 12 months paying my parents $200 to pay it off, but hey, at least its payed for, unlike some people in my school that drive brand new ones (and I can kick their booty)

Long story short, IM HAPPY, Z24 KICK ASS

Thank you all, im done (finally)

[ This Message was edited by: johnyg on 2001-10-10 18:10 ]

·
Registered
278 Posts
You can't just rip the govenor out, it is built in the computer chip. I have a 92 Z24 and I put a switch in to loose my govenor, luckily I didn't have a rev limiter. I don't really know how fast I can go but I know I have gone over 200 KM/H. Oh and paying that much for your car was a little to much. When I was done with my car, and this is with a new paint job it cost me almost $3000.00 CDN. Is yours manual or automatic?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a manual, and I guess its not bad having a governor, or else I might kill myself.

Ive been looking around for Z24's for a while, and its hard to find them at that age for a good price. I was afraid that there might have been something wrong with it, but Ive inspected it very carefull now, and its been very well taken care of. Took me a while to find a car in its condition, but if you payed that much less for one, I guess you must have found a really good deal. Been looking for a car for 6 months, and havent found anything descent under $4000, at least not one that has a sporty look and some power. All you can get here thats no older than 92 and under $4000, its a Ford Tempo.

Anyways, im happy, and thats all that matters

Thanks, John

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Here in ontario they sell like hot cakes. I test drove one (92 Z24) blak (needs MINOR work) but it was only $1800 . Another one 91 Red certified and emmision tested was only $3995 and that was mint condition. both 5spd.

$5000 seems like alot for a 92 car especially with rust and a hard to open door..

just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually i had it checked out by a body shop, they wanted $200 to repair it, but there is only a little bit, that will cost about $20 in paint and primer to fix.
Cheapest Z24 I found here were 89's in really good condition, little over 200'000 km, and they still wanted $4200 for it. Talked to a dealer, and he said that If he can get one, he does, cause they sell real fast, and keep their price up.
Ive heard that in Onatrio cars are a lot cheaper, but then again, 2 people I know bought cars there, and they were in horrible shape cause of salt they use on the roads there.

Anyways, I think I got a good deal, since I allready got about 3 offers to sell it for $5500.

Theres only one problem with Z24's, they look faster than they really are ( although they are fairly fast) , today I had about 6 people asking me to dragrace.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts