J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows the law about having a system in your car? Or where I can find that information on the inernet? I ran into some problems with the police because of my system in my truck and it being "Too" loud..haha. So Im in the situation of trying to find out the law and that good stuff.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Well you shouldnt be driving with it up way loud anyways.... You might not hear things like sirens and whatnot

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
Aphytex said:
Well you shouldnt be driving with it up way loud anyways.... You might not hear things like sirens and whatnot
I have a system that is capable of 140+ DB, and regularly drive with it that loud, and I have NO problem hearing sirens, or horns, etc.

The reason being is that the sirens at a frequency that is not commonly all that loud, higher frequncies. Most systems that ply loud do so in the lower frequncies, that unless you're trying to listen for elephant calls, you should have no problem hearing what's going on around you.

To the OP, you will have to find out what your local laws and bylaws are. The local Library should have a nice large book or two that you may have to go through, one being vehicle codes and one being residential, or laws applicalbe everywhere else.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I wasnt in a residental area or anything like that. I was going down one of the main drags through Kalamazoo (Westnedge) Im sure some of you know where Im talking about. And it wasnt cranked all that loud. I personally am careful about the whole sirens all that and can tell when to turn it down and slow down or whatever. But an undercover cop nailed me and sayed it was illegal, got a lecture, then let go. So I was just curious. From everything I know the only thing I could get is sound violation if I was in residents area?? I guess I will look into it more later on when I have time.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Six_Shooter said:
Aphytex said:
I have a system that is capable of 140+ DB, and regularly drive with it that loud, and I have NO problem hearing sirens, or horns, etc.

The reason being is that the sirens at a frequency that is not commonly all that loud, higher frequncies. Most systems that ply loud do so in the lower frequncies, that unless you're trying to listen for elephant calls, you should have no problem hearing what's going on around you.
thats how I am... So what do you have pushing for a system? Im working on doing a new setup in my truck for a bit more boom..even though I probably shouldn't. But Im just not likeing my whole setup. I am pushing something around 130's or there abouts I think in my truck. Im not sure. I have 2 Sony Xplod 12's 1300w and a PPI2400 400w 2 ch. amp. I only paid $40 for my subs..brand new at that. But I hate them and want to run something else.. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Here in Flint it is a MISDAMENOR to hear your stereo for more than 50ft away. It ia a $500 fine and or 90 days in jail if you get cought more than twice.

I've had my old car impounded when I was 18 for it.

EACH AND EVERY CITY/STATE has it's own laws. Check with your local police to see exactly what it is in your area.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
chevyman001 said:
Six_Shooter said:
Aphytex said:

thats how I am... So what do you have pushing for a system? Im working on doing a new setup in my truck for a bit more boom..even though I probably shouldn't. But Im just not likeing my whole setup. I am pushing something around 130's or there abouts I think in my truck. Im not sure. I have 2 Sony Xplod 12's 1300w and a PPI2400 400w 2 ch. amp. I only paid $40 for my subs..brand new at that. But I hate them and want to run something else.. Let me know.
Currently:
Clarion 765VD (DVD screen)
Audio Control Epicenter
Phoenix Gold x200.4
Quantum 1" tweeters
BMW (Yes the car manufacturer, came from a customers car) 5.25" mids
A single Phoenix Gold x12D2, in a custom ported enclosure.

Plenty for me, though I do want to add my x1200.1 once I fix it and my Audio Control EQTs, along with a better front stage, once I get some time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
About your system, good thing you only paid $40 for those 12" Xplods, because if you didnt already know, Sony is bottom-of-the-line when it comes down to car audio.

But also your main problem is that youre running a 400 watt 2 channel amp to them.

Your amp is what makes the subs. A strong enough amp will make any brand, any size subs sound good.

You said 400 watts right? thats peak or RMS to each sub?

But yeah I have a 1200 watt amp wired up to two 12" Kickers, I used to be very nervous around cops but usually it depends on the cop. If you are also speeding or something, they will just tack on the sound stuff. Or if you are driving like a dumbass, etc.

But I think as long as youre not cranking it all the way (right next to them or near them) then you should be fine. If they pull u over from kinda far away, take that as a compliment b/c they are jealous

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
leftypride said:
About your system, good thing you only paid $40 for those 12" Xplods, because if you didnt already know, Sony is bottom-of-the-line when it comes down to car audio.

But also your main problem is that youre running a 400 watt 2 channel amp to them.

Your amp is what makes the subs. A strong enough amp will make any brand, any size subs sound good.

You said 400 watts right? thats peak or RMS to each sub?

But yeah I have a 1200 watt amp wired up to two 12" Kickers, I used to be very nervous around cops but usually it depends on the cop. If you are also speeding or something, they will just tack on the sound stuff. Or if you are driving like a dumbass, etc.

But I think as long as youre not cranking it all the way (right next to them or near them) then you should be fine. If they pull u over from kinda far away, take that as a compliment b/c they are jealous
So the 400 watts on my single 12" isn't good enough? Plenty for me, and more than enough for most people that listen to my system. The amp is not the only variable in what makes a good sub system. The enclosure make sthe largest impact on the final sound of any speaker. Amp is has an effect yes, but not as great as you seem to believe, The sub itself also has an effect, also probably moreso than the amp, in most cases.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i have had 16 tickets for loud stereo my ass it was not loud it was fucking loud i had a cop pull next to me an wanted me to let him hear it i said ok and i turned it up and it cracked his winshield and the ass gave me a ticket but they say highway use only i say if its legal to buy the shit turn it the fuck up i had 12 12s in a civic with 23000 watts going to it all jl and ppi shit i was out to be the loudest in my town and i was

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
badboyjeremie said:
i have had 16 tickets for loud stereo my ass it was not loud it was fucking loud i had a cop pull next to me an wanted me to let him hear it i said ok and i turned it up and it cracked his winshield and the ass gave me a ticket but they say highway use only i say if its legal to buy the shit turn it the fuck up i had 12 12s in a civic with 23000 watts going to it all jl and ppi shit i was out to be the loudest in my town and i was
I call bullshit on that.

Id like to see some pics, videos, or slips on that. I don't believe that one damn second. So your saying you cracked someones window that pulled up next to you?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
badboyjeremie said:
I ALSO call bullshit....12 12" subs in a civic, HIGHLY unlikely....as you would have no room for the subs and amps, I call bullshit....and cracking a windsheield...haha please....u sound liek a teenager tryin to show off.....but yeah im sure if u had such an AMAZING stereo....u wud deff have pics of it....so lets see buddy

·
Banned
4,055 Posts
klutchewsky said:
badboyjeremie said:
I ALSO call bullshit....12 12" subs in a civic, HIGHLY unlikely....as you would have no room for the subs and amps, I call bullshit....and cracking a windsheield...haha please....u sound liek a teenager tryin to show off.....but yeah im sure if u had such an AMAZING stereo....u wud deff have pics of it....so lets see buddy
HAHAHAHAAH x3
1. 2 12" dosent put out that much pound to crack a window especially in a civic and im also with klutchewsky about the room issue to.
2. Theres not a cop in the world who would ask that in a cruser unless he hates your ass and wants to bust you and your stupid for doing it for him
3. Maybe set off a car alarm not gonna break a window in a car
4. You are dumb as shit for even saying that.
5. Get pictures up

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
So let me get this straight. The cop asked you to turn it up.... you cracked his windshield but yet you <SIZE size="150">didn't crack your own</SIZE>

<SIZE size="200">
BULLSHIT
</SIZE>

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
cavi_rs_94 said:
klutchewsky said:
badboyjeremie said:
HAHAHAHAAH x3
1. 2 12" dosent put out that much pound to crack a window especially in a civic and im also with klutchewsky about the room issue to.
2. Theres not a cop in the world who would ask that in a cruser unless he hates your ass and wants to bust you and your stupid for doing it for him
5. Get pictures up
Lol i gotta fix sumthin for ya...he said 12 12" subs....not 2...lol...so hes even MORE of a bullshitter....

haha I love it how he says "I cracked his windshield"..haha wow

The only way he can back himself outta this one, is pictures of the subs in a civic..12 subs to be exact...lol and 16 tickets eh....im sure if it was so illegal...the cops wuda made him pull it out after the 2nd or 3rd ticket haha... :rotfl:

·
Banned
4,055 Posts
klutchewsky said:
cavi_rs_94 said:
klutchewsky said:
badboyjeremie said:
HAHAHAHAAH x3
5. Get pictures up
Lol i gotta fix sumthin for ya...he said 12 12" subs....not 2...lol...so hes even MORE of a bullshitter....

haha I love it how he says "I cracked his windshield"..haha wow

The only way he can back himself outta this one, is pictures of the subs in a civic..12 subs to be exact...lol and 16 tickets eh....im sure if it was so illegal...the cops wuda made him pull it out after the 2nd or 3rd ticket haha... :rotfl:
my bad lol 12***** still 100% bullshit and its funny!

·
Registered
147 Posts
guys im 28 years old i dont have shit to lie about and i worked for one of the best car audio installers on the east coast spadecreations.com if it can be done he can do it u ppl on think u know alot most of u on here just big shit talkers i see the way u talk about ppl on here when all it is u just wish u had it for your self

·
Registered
311 Posts
badboyjeremie said:
guys im 28 years old i dont have shit to lie about and i worked for one of the best car audio installers on the east coast spadecreations.com if it can be done he can do it u ppl on think u know alot most of u on here just big shit talkers i see the way u talk about ppl on here when all it is u just wish u had it for your self
learn to use punctuation. I can't read it easily, my thoughts on any claims you may have go down.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.