J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this morning the speedo was bouncing around a little bit on the highway. it seemed to go back to normal after a few seconds but kept doing it

I also heard something that sounded like a loose gear when I was slowing down..

weird since it was working fine yesterday. do they just normally wear out I take it?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
They wear out and sometimes act funny forever or just completly give out yes my friend

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard the sound recently even at idle it sounded like something loose...

I checked the tranny fluid and it was fine so ya it must just be the speedo on the way out..

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
you can check the drive gear on the end of the cable for wear/cracks if it seems like it's in good condition the cable itself may just need to be well lubricated. Try a good penetrating oil (not wd-40) may be a cheap cure to your problem. Don't know why i never thought of that before duh!! :lol:

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
scott0999 said:
mines electronic
for the electronic kind is there still a gear in the trans and then a pickup off that which send the signal to the cluster? or is it totally gearless?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
should be a simple repair without dropping the tranny but i'm not famillar with the electronic speedo's

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
scott0999 said:
anyone have pics of what it looks like apart?
should be just a little gear thing... that should be accessible without having to remove the trans.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
barrok69 said:
scott0999 said:
anyone have pics of what it looks like apart?
should be just a little gear thing... that should be accessible without having to remove the trans.
Scott you should be able to acccess it from the top. Its on the rear of the trans besides the tran dipstick. Just unplug it and I believe its just has 1 bolt holding it into place :-?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.