J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the mornings when I start my car up to go to school it acts incredibly weird.

Its a good 15 minute drive to school...the last few days the first 10 minutes or so of driving the speedometer doesnt move, it stays at 0 at all times. While this is happening my car seems to have a mind of its own, in the fact that when trying to brake it feels like the car just wants to keep going and when I come to a full stop the brakes are barely holding the car...then when I let the brakes go, before I even accelerate the car takes off alot quicker by itself then it normally does.

After 10 minutes or so, once the car warms up, I feel the car kind of kick, like there is a thump or something in the engine...after which the speedometer works again and I no longer have trouble with the brakes/accelerating thing.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? It seems like one thing after another with this god damn car!!

· Registered
838 Posts
does your car have digital or analog gauges?

if it's analog, then i'd think it's gotta be something with the tranny.

if it's digital, i'd guess possibly the tranny or ECM.

i don't see how a problem with the ENGINE could make the speedo stop working.

· Registered
3,982 Posts
It should be analog and cable driven (last year for cable driven) First things first check to make sure it is still probably connected to the vss on the tranny and to the back of the instrument cluster. Also check the routing to make sure it isn't kinked, etc. Also check the actual casing to make sure it is not damaged. What can happen is that the cable may contact a hot surface such as the exhaust manifold and it'll melt through the casing and actually almost fuse the steel cable core and casing so it'll have a hard time spinning. And as always you could always pick up a new cable (make sure to pick it up from the dealer as the aftermarket cables don't work well) Also make sure the plastic gear under the vss cover on the tranny is fine as well.

· Premium Member
7,450 Posts
you sure the 91's came as cable driven, if so, it might have been a mid year thing, because mine is electronically driven, either that, or the previous owner TRIED to switch to electronically driven, but didnt work, but i fixed it and swapped it properly, i seriously think it was a mid year thing..

· Registered
838 Posts
ginobeats said:
It should be analog and cable driven (last year for cable driven) First things first check to make sure it is still probably connected to the vss on the tranny and to the back of the instrument cluster...Also make sure the plastic gear under the vss cover on the tranny is fine as well.
that's a good way to find problems with the speedo ONLY, but how could the speedo cable cause the rest of the problems he was describing?

· Registered
3,982 Posts
The ecm reads information from the vss for proper engine control. It uses the information related to speed, accelerating/decelerating, etc. His tcc is probably not engaging as well if the engine is warm and the speedo isn't working yet. Without the speedo working, it is taken as if the car is not in motion because the computer isn't getting the vss reading.

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My registry says 4-Speed Auto not 5-Speed Manual.

Anyways what exactly is a VSS and how do I go about checking it/replacing it.

A new thing happened today...on my way to school...speedometer wasnt working for the first little bit as usual...but now when the car is doing this if the tranny is in Park or Neutral the car idles at about 3000 RPM...if its in reverse or drive it idles at regular 1000-1500 RPM.

But, when the car does its whole kickback thing (after its warmed up I assume)...the speedometer works and the car goes back to idling around 1000-1500 while in park and neutral.

This is definetly fucked up...but I need to get it fixed.

· Registered
271 Posts
I was having the same problem before. Speedo not working until I reached about 40 or so one week, then 50 the next, then 65. Then not at all. You'll notice that your odometer is not working while the speedo is out. You should be able to tell how fast you are going by the tach, if you know your car well. My speedo was all messed up for about 3 months before I fixed it.

The VSS is on top of the trans on the passenger side. I fyou remove the strut tower brace then you can reach it just fine. I t is really hard to miss. It is just sticking out of the top of it, with one wire coming out. There is a wire clip on top of it. Pull it up and swing it out of the way. The VSS should pull out really easily. There is a little black plastic gear on the end of it. Replace it, and make sure that you put it back on the right way. You'll know if you got it backwards because it just won't go on. Put the clip back in place and connect the wire.
Good as new now!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.