J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here swaped the trunk rack for the spoiler? If you have did you buy the spoiler or the whole trunk lid? Cause from looking at it the spoiler doesn't match up with the factory holes for the rack. I can patch the wholes fine, but I don't want to drill any holes.

·
Premium Member
7,448 Posts
if you buy a brand new spoiler (actually i just installed my spoiler today, finally got around to doing it, lol) there's a kit that comes with it that lines up the holes of the spoiler to the trunk, tape up the kit while the kit is on the spoiler and on the trunk, and when you do that, you lift the spoiler up and presto, guidelines for the holes, make sure you have a small drill bit and make pre-holes, then take the kit off and drill bigger holes, im not sure exactly what drill bit sizes or whatnot, im assuming its different with each spoiler and company, and its actually not that hard to do

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't want to buy an aftermarket spoiler I want to get a factory spoiler of a wreck from the junkyard. I was just wondering if it would be easier to buy the whole trunk lid or just buy the spoiler itself?

·
Premium Member
7,448 Posts
i'd assume it would be easier for just the spoiler (installation wise) because of the latch, hinges and stuff like that

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Well, if you are affraid of drilling holes in the decklid, I would get the whole thing, if you can. I don't think the installation is too bad. It will be more expensive to get the lid and all (of course), especially if you can't find one in the same color and have to get it painted.

If you just get the spoiler, maybe you could make some kind of template out of thin cardboard using the decklid of the trunk you get the spoiler off of, and then you would be sure to get the holes matched up right in your trunk.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I guess I could do that. The whole painting part isn't too bad cause I work in a shop and painted the car with my boss. I still have left over paint so I could do the lid no problem. I should be able to get the whole lid for aeound $100.00. Thanks for your help...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts