J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
90 Z24 3.1 5SPD

My problem is, in the first three gears, when I push the gas pedal, or let it up, or shift, and sometimes on bumps (basically anytime the car's rate of accelleration changes quickly), the car makes squeek or clunks or creaking noises... exactly the kind of noises you'd expect to make by jumping on a squeaky mattress. It's not a problem, but makes my car sound to be of low quality, and that's no good, and I just want to make sure it's nothing serious.

Additional info which may be related:
I didn't know at all how to drive a standard when I bought the car in August. I taught myself, and I'm guessing that wasn't good for a car.
My clutch has been slipping recently, but only under heavy accelleration.
My shocks are dead. All of them.
My car sits a little lopsided, like an inch higher on the passenger side.
I don't know much about the history of this car. Apparently carfax.com has 2 bits of info on file, but I'm too cheap to buy them.
It's gotten alot worse in the last week.
It's also gotten about 30 deg C colder in the last week. (weather, not the car)

If anyone can figure this out, thanks a lot.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Sounds like your front sway bar bushings to me. Mine squeek from time to time, and strangely enough dousing them with water to get them wet kills the squeek for a while, and yes, cold weather seems to agrivate them sometimes. Crawl under the car and check em out. They are the rubber bushings on the bar near the control arms on both sides. If they look bad, I would replace em, otherwise you could try the water trick, or some good ole WD-40

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Let me know if that works for you, my car also does this.

My clutch is also slipping, I have a new one in my trunk and I'm getting it installed tommorow.

Later

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I sprayed the rubber bushings with WD-40. It did definately helped some, but there are still some noises. I'm thinking maybe it's the strut mounts?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
I think the mounts usually would make more of a clunking noise if bad...

Maybe try some more WD, so it can really get soaked in there

·
Registered
129 Posts
hahhah is there anything wd-40 doesnt do? hheh god damn that stuff is useful. from removing squeaks to killing small insects its probably one of the most brilliant substances made!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's possible I just need more oil on there. I couldn't really get at the back side of the bushings without crawling under the car. Middle of the night at -20 C on a snowy driveway, that's the last thing I wanted to do.

Oh, and they did look a little like they had been crushed, and a bit dried and decayed. But still intact.

[ This Message was edited by: brantk on 2001-12-13 02:50 ]

·
Registered
97 Posts
i had the exact same problem. i had the bushings replaced. drivability was returned and the sqeaks were gone. you can have them replaced for like $130.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts