J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plastic box that surrounds the steering column (where the blinker switch, etc comes out from)...underneath, you know how there are three bolts that go inside to hold it in place? Could someone tell me the size of those bolts so I can go buy three...or see if I have three kicking around the house. My car came with them missing and that plastic box rattles ALL the fucking time...and its annoying.

Also, bigger question and bigger problem as well...if I have my hand on top of the steering wheel I can push down on the steering wheel and it will go down a good 2-3 inches or so...like I can just shake it back and forth, there is give in both directions...its like a bolt is missing or something is loose.

I took the horn pad off and the bolts on that first metal plate are all in position and tight...so is this a problem deeper in...am I gonna have to take off the steering wheel and what should I look for? It's not normal for a steering wheel to have that much give and it bugs the shit out of me...I cant set the wheel where I want it cause as soon as I put my hand on it, it drops down.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
First, is this a tilt column? Tilt columns have four bolts deep down inside that like to come loose. The end result is a shitload of play in the column. If you have this problem, be prepared for a whole lot of fun disassembling the column to get to them. I've done about a half dozen and curse and scream every time.

Also, look where the column hits the dash. You will need to stick your head on the floor and look from underneath. There should be two bolts that secure the column to the dash subassembly. On the 88, the bolts have 13mm heads. Yours should be similar.

If those are there, look roughly above the brake pedal. There is a small bracket that comes off the "top" of the column. There is one bolt that attaches that bracket to the car. If that bolt is missing, or LOOSE (even just a little bit), you will also have a ton of play in the column. This bolt is also 13mm on the 88, it's a bitch to get to as well.

Laying down with your head next to the pedals and moving the column around should give you an indication of whats up real quick.

Hope this helps some.

- Frank

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By tilt column I assume you mean that it adjusts to different positions, no? In that case mine is a tilt column.

Anyways...lots of info...I guess I'm gonna have some fun tomorrow trying to find this...I'm hoping its the bolts underneath as I really dont wanna take off the steering wheel.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I can't say I have this problem yet but have read it on here a few times. I would think that upon doing all this work I would be removing each bolt one at a time and using thread locker when I tightened them back into place. General thing I'm reading is they tend to vibrate loose over time.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Actually, the most common cause is when you tilt the wheel and it goes up hard and hits, over time it knocks them loose, but still GM should have put some kind of thread locker in the beginning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.