J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the two switch handles for the steering column of my '91 Cav. (black int.) Can anyone help me out?

ALSO

The dash on my car has shrunk and the vents don't fit right anymore, can this be stretched or expanded somehow? or do I have to replace it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i am having the same problem with my defrost vent on the passenger side...any help would help

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey guys. Go buy some clear rtv silicone sealant. Remove the vents. Next apply some of this to the spot where the vents sit. Then put the vents back in. Let everything dry and then if you have any excess you can trim it off. I did this to my defrost vent and it hasn't popped out at all. Plus no one can see the silicone and the piece can come out if you ever need to remove the vents. An easy and worthwhile fix that keeps you focused on the road and not on making sure your vents pop out again.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm guessing that the dash covering is popping up and that is the culprit for the vent coming off? I have two Zs and I have had the same problem on both. I remedied the first vehicle with some aluminum channeling, hopefully you know what channeling looks like. I used it to jam the covering down to the plastic underdash that the covering used to be glued to. The second method I have found to work well is to use "black" self tapping screws to screw the covering to the plasic under it. The only prob with the second method is that you have to have a 90 degree drill adapter to do this. Both methods have worked well and you don't have to use any messy silicone to keep the vent cover down. Just be creative and you will find something that works!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts