J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tilt on the steering column is broken. You don't have to press the lever for it to work. You can push my steering wheel up and down and all over. I know this can't be safe to drive but one quick question. I was told that it was so much easier to just buy a new column than to fix the tilt. So my question is that does it have to be a certain column seeing that my car is a vert? I have a 88 Cavalier Z24 Vert, and when I called into the Parts store they said they didn't have one for the vert buy they did for a regular Z24 or RS. Just thought I'd ask....

Thanks in Advance Guys!!!!! :D

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
no difference between steering columns for all cavaliers...other than phase1/phase2... you should be able to pick up any part from same year car and it'll bolt right in. make sure if you have cruise, that the new one comes with it or else you'll have to pull your old stalk and wire out of the old and fish it thru the new one.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you installed a column before and if so how hard is it. I know I'll have to have a puller of some sort to get the wheel off, Correct?

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
blackwidowz24 said:
Have you installed a column before and if so how hard is it. I know I'll have to have a puller of some sort to get the wheel off, Correct?
The column pretty much comes out with three bolts. Two are right under the base of the dash and run vertical, the third is basically above the pedals and runs horizontal.

Yes, you should use a puller to remove the steering wheel. Yes, plenty of people will tell you they just yanked it off or smacked it with a hammer and it came off, but the correct way to do the job without risking damage to the column is to use a puller. You work in a shop, so most likely someone will be kind enough to lend you one overnight. Otherwise, it's maybe a $20 investment.

As for your problem, if it's the typical column moves all over problem, then personally I'd just fix it (tighten the bolts in the column) instead of running to the yard and buying a new one. If you have a TILT problem, then it's easier to get a good column because internal parts could be a real PITA to get.

- Frank

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
88ragtop said:
blackwidowz24 said:
The column pretty much comes out with three bolts. Two are right under the base of the dash and run vertical, the third is basically above the pedals and runs horizontal.

Yes, you should use a puller to remove the steering wheel. Yes, plenty of people will tell you they just yanked it off or smacked it with a hammer and it came off, but the correct way to do the job without risking damage to the column is to use a puller. You work in a shop, so most likely someone will be kind enough to lend you one overnight. Otherwise, it's maybe a $20 investment.

As for your problem, if it's the typical column moves all over problem, then personally I'd just fix it (tighten the bolts in the column) instead of running to the yard and buying a new one. If you have a TILT problem, then it's easier to get a good column because internal parts could be a real PITA to get.

- Frank
Yeah, I've done discussed this. Nick said he'd let me borrow his 3-jaw puller just whenever I need it. I really need to invest in one anyways. And yeah it's just the tilt thats screwed up. So all in all it's not really that pain in the neck to install then?

Thanks again Frank.....Your the MAN!!!!! :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
just a thought but there is a pin that might just need replaceing.Thats what happened to my column,one day driving along this pin fell out.When i got home i took the steering wheel off and all the plastic around the column and had a good look and found where the pin went,i was lucky though i found the pin on the floor,put it back in and i was back in business.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
cavalierdude said:
just a thought but there is a pin that might just need replaceing.Thats what happened to my column,one day driving along this pin fell out.When i got home i took the steering wheel off and all the plastic around the column and had a good look and found where the pin went,i was lucky though i found the pin on the floor,put it back in and i was back in business.
Don't ya hate that.. happened to both my PH-2 Z's.. :-?

I think the PH-1 setups are different though.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ripped it out as soon as I got outta church and noticed that the pin was still in there. Noticed chunks of my tilt missing though. :eek: So between my hood fabrication, doctors office, and my job, I'm going to try and buy me a new column and fix it. Guess it would be a good time to look for maybe a new aftermarket steering wheel. :D

Hopefully the doc will tell me I have to be off for another week and I can finish the lil mods I've started here recently. Hmmmm.......the gf's spending the week away in college and me off of work, who knows the possiblities I could do this week!!!! 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.