J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks.
My first post here.
I have a steering noise in my 1991 ,130k miles on it.
It sounds like a rubber on rubber moaning,similar to the sound of a dove cooing,and happens when I am turning the wheel alot looking for a parking space.It even does this when the car is NOT running,and I turn the wheel ever so slightly.The fluid level is fine.Temperature and humidity changes seem to affect it too.
Any ideas?
Is this in the rack?
Or the column?
Thanks folks.
:D Willy

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
mine does the same thing, its been doing it for a while too, i think its in the column, now never having taken one apart im not sure if theres bearings or what in there but something justneeds to be lubricated, im sure there will be someone else come along with more help

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
i would say its in the column because mine does the same exact thing, and it actualy seems to cause my steering to be a bit tighter meaning steering wheel to comumn. not sure what causes it, but it doesent really bother me

EDIT: didnt see your post^ but yea, like he said either someone will come in saying (i know exactly what it is!) or someone will say (no fix, sorry) lol.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.
My gut feeling is the column too.
I have the Haynes repair manual,and the column diagram does show some areas that could maybe cause this sound.There is a coupler bushing down near the firewall.Its just a matter of getting to them to spray some lube in there.
Willy

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Sounds like tho column to to me as well try a sprayable graphite lube mine did the same fixed her right up

welcome to the site enjoy!! :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Having weird noises coming from steering is never good in my books... Check your ball joints and tie rods to make sure everything's good. My friend's lincoln made that noise for about a week, he ignored it, then one morning backing out of his driveway SNAP! then he had a control arm on the ground... lol... Try lubing it up, spray some penetrating oil on the ball joint, then check if the noise went away. Repeat for tie rods.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
red2000 said:
hpjunkie,
Can you tell me where you lubed???
Willy
everywhere inside the column that i could get to with grapha lube i think it was. I also removed the column from the car for greater access to some spots never squeaked again!!

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea,new tires can make funny noises.
But this sound is clearly coming from the column.
On a cooler day it is much less pronounced.
Leads me to believe it is the coupler bushing at the end of the column which might have rubber or some kind of nylon in it thats affected by temps.
Just gotta get myself under there to spray it soon.
:D
Willy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.