J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this ones for moon. I was just wondering how much you cash you put into that bad ass stereo of yours.

·
Registered
68 Posts
come on now i know hes got a nice stereo and everything but my bet is that he put more money into it than he needed too
he probably has about 1000-1100 if he bought everything new (from the store)
me on the other hand i have spent around 600-700 on mine and i gaurantee mine is louder than his im hittin like 160 decibels with just 4 12's and dont ever buy any subs other than jl it would be a big mistake unless u are going competition in which i would recommend the the brand new audiobahn 18" sub but they cost like 1000 themselves but jls are just so clear and give u a better sounding bass than any other speaker
u can ask anybody who knows anything about car stereo they will tell ya
how to get a good stereo cheap:

1 buy stuff of the internet ebay or classifieds2000
2 head unit: buy clarion or eclipse
3 highs& mids:buy boston acoustics, polk, infinty,or eclipse
4 amps: anything that is a good name brand just not sony
5 subs: jls :::tell me a sub that is better

erikd

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
I woudln't exactly call it "bad ass", but lets see.
Aiwa CDC3 Headunit: $300 - made the mistake of getting one of those when they were brand new.
2 Rockford 10" Subs in a Custom Box: $200 - ebay
Pioneer 6x9's 4 ways - $100 - ebay
Rockford 3.5's - $50
Not-so-great Amps - $200

So that totals up to about $850...

·
Registered
222 Posts
hey blaxxuede did you say your hitting 160 db's with 4 12'. Sorry to burst your bubble there buddy but i'm hitting 149.6 db's with just 2 12'
and an overall spl of 36 if you know anything about stereo competitions . oh by the way i'm running MTX subs

·
Registered
68 Posts
yeah im sorry bout this but keep it on the lolo i only got 2 12 w0s now and im still hittin 140 i suppose u got thunder 7000 or 6000s and an 800 watt amp or so my subs are only made for 100wts a piece and im runnin like 4-500 watts into them thats like 2-250 watts a piece i dunno but something tells me there is a big difference in the power here but anyway when i had the 4 w0s if i had the same amp for those id have been hittin like 170 or so but i bet even now with my system it would sound louder cuz my subs gauranteed are a lot clearer since i had a thender 7000 in my truck (single cab) with a 600 watt kenwood amp it was so distorted i had to get rid of it it sucked well im done bitchin but try some w3s with that amp i bet ud sell ure subs and buy them on the spot:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
wheres frostbyte (the stereo expert) when i need him? lol

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
why is it that people always have to say that JL audio is the best? The best is whatever sounds best in your car. it's true that some company's definately make better stuff than others but you really need to try stuff out. I tried out two JL 15"s (i can't remeber the model #) and i almost puked. then i tried some 15" Kicker CompVR's and i loved them. now i have heard some good systems built around JL, but at the only spring break nationals i ever went to i saw a huge variety of stuff. it all depends on what u want out of the system.

·
Registered
129 Posts
hmm... dont know whether or not to laugh or to be insulted... eh... ill laugh hehehehehheheh
well got ya all beat. finally fixed my rattles in my car and the last time i tested out my system i got 156.4 db with 2 12" dual voice coil subs, and a single 600w jensen but i probably spent a hell of alot more then all of you... so far i think with the different boxs, sound proofing, repairing (yes i too blow s*** up by mistake),and different amps/speakers im probably sitting at close to $2000 +. lol. expert... dude i will be.. just waiting to see whats going on with this bullshit with the airplanes... i live in Vancouver and the school im applyed to is in Toronto and fares right now are about $1000 round trip... then i gotta find some living space for about 2-3 months..

·
Registered
129 Posts
i also agree with racer. it dont matter what brand name it is. its all in how it sounds in your car and what your ear is tuned to.. remember not everyone hears the exact same. lol stereo expert..

·
Registered
306 Posts
i got a problem with my stereo and the rattling

first of, i hate rattling, it annoys the hell out of me, the piece that seems to be rattling is the whole tail light piece, the part that comes apart with the wing nuts, i have tightened those down to as tight as they can get, anyone got any good ideas???

·
Registered
120 Posts
i have a eclipse head unit, 2 orion xtr pro compitition 15" subs, 2 6x9's, 2 tweeters boss, and a rockford fosgate power 1000.2 amp, 2 5.25"midrange with titanium plated cone speakers and a 10 disc sony cd changer and i hit 152.7

·
Registered
120 Posts
frostbyte, you say you hit 156.4 db? damn im impressed. The new world record just set by team rockfordfosgate is only 160.1, and they just beat the old record of 156.2 db so that means you had the world record untill nov 24, 2001? :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man, I cant belive how stupid some of you guys are, ecspecially some of the so called "stereo experts."

You guys need to start doign some reasearch and get your head out of your ass and start lookign around you and seeing that you guys are so full of it when it comes to knowing about stereos.

·
Registered
2 Posts
b00ter said:
Man, I cant belive how stupid some of you guys are, ecspecially some of the so called "stereo experts."

You guys need to start doign some reasearch and get your head out of your ass and start lookign around you and seeing that you guys are so full of it when it comes to knowing about stereos.
My thoughts exaclty. You guys need to seriously learn your shit so you can stop pretending you know what your talking about. There is more to car audio then just JL and Rockford. Blaxxuede 170 dbs with 4 12W0's? Sure there buddy. :roll: You are sad dude.

·
Registered
129 Posts
they only used subs. i used 2 3 /12's, 2 5 1/4's, and 2 6x9's and then my subs ... big diff between competitions and just dbdragging people with half ass equipment. i have just found out that the rating on the actual test i was at was 9.642 points out... that means instead of 156.4 was actually only 146.7 db.. :evil: and i blew 1 amp and 2 speakers getting that... for frigs sake.. last time i goto comps with the people useing regular mikes...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Frostbyte said:
they only used subs. i used 2 3 /12's, 2 5 1/4's, and 2 6x9's and then my subs ... big diff between competitions and just dbdragging people with half ass equipment. i have just found out that the rating on the actual test i was at was 9.642 points out... that means instead of 156.4 was actually only 146.7 db.. :evil: and i blew 1 amp and 2 speakers getting that... for frigs sake.. last time i goto comps with the people useing regular mikes...
Are you saying that because you had those extra speakers + your subs that you were louder than the other guys? Cause if so your a moron too. In dB drags speakers dotn help get you more points. The mikes are crossed at like 80 hz so the only way to increase your score is more power to your subs, more subs (higher class) more cone area, more port area etc, not by having 6x9 and other speakers in the car.

lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
im glad to hear someone knows the shit there talking about bOOter. before u came it kinda sounded like some b.s. in here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
when you are metered for SPL ( sound pressure level, which is measured in dB .. decibels...). you are taking the measurement os sound that is coming from the subwoofers only. they greate more pressure than the other speakers do. SO when you say you metered a 156.4 dB.. where was the mic (not mike) placed ?? was it on the dash, 12" away from the A Pillar, 4 inches up off the dash and 1" away from the glass ?? OR... was the mic placed under the dash, in the kickpanel ( footwell) of the car? OR was the mic placed in the port of the speaker enclosure? If you said yes to the later 2 .. then that is OUTLAW.. where anything goes... the measurement of Alan Riley's van was taken on a EXTREMELY TOUGH mic, and it was on the dash ( LEGAL SPL). THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE !!!!! I am willing to bet you could not sit in Alan's van WITHOUT hearing protection, and say it didn't hurt.
you may ask who i am, My Name is Gabriel, Alan is a buddy of mine. The record he set ( 160.8 dB) broke the world record that i had set back in march at a show in South Padre Island,TX. you may check the results from that show at www.soundoff.org/usac1.htm look under legal world records ( archives) BTW>. I have 2 15s and 8000 watts ( JUST to the 15s) and 4 batteries and a big enclosure with BIG ports.
and not to put down your system, believe me I am not.. I totally respect anyone who has spent time and money in a hobby or sport such as car audio. cause it isn't cheap !!! BUT... the day that 1 jensen 600 watt amp and 2 DVC ( dual voice coil) subs beats my 8K with 15s, is the day i will quit competing.

BTW,... I have set 2 world records this year ( which have since been beaten.. scores jump big time in SPL)

both records were set in March ( mar3-5th) at SPring Break Jams at South Padre Island,TX.

Gabriel Ramirez
FORMER:
2001 dB Drag Racing Super Street No Wall World record holder 157.2dB
2001 USACI Pro Modified 601+ Watts World Record Holder 151.6dB ( the same mic that alan did his 160.8 on)

to give you a comparison, in dB Drag Racing, we use the Termlab software and mics. USACi LEGAL attempts are taken on a B&K mic. this B&K mic costs about $40K !. check with NASA. they use this to meter the space shuttle when they take off to see how loud it is)

also, as i mentioned i have 2 15s and 8000 watts.. at the time of his record, Alan had just 9 RF 15s, and 18 RF amps.. he now has 36 amps.

thanks for your time, and if I may be of some assistance, please let me know. I do not want to come off as being cocky , just wanted to let you guys know a lil about SPL and how loud cars really are. And btw... if you have the 12"dvc subs, and a 600 watt amp. 146db sounds right. TRUST ME... the 156 sounds a BIT high.. but you do have the foundation for a good street pounding system.

please feel free to visit the forum i frequent often. Termpro @
http://www.termpro.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

and here is a link to my competitor's stats page.

<LINK_TEXT text="http://www.termpro.com/asp/competitorst ... or_ID=8731">http://www.termpro.com/asp/competitorstats.asp?Competitor_ID=8731</LINK_TEXT>

and my homepage ( which needs updating..lol)

http://hometown.aol.com/gabe79/myhomepage/auto.html
thanks for your time

Gabriel Ramirez
"SPL Jester"

Team Gates
Team Noisy Toys
Team Crossfire

·
Registered
5 Posts
spl_jester said:
when you are metered for SPL ( sound pressure level, which is measured in dB .. decibels...). you are taking the measurement os sound that is coming from the subwoofers only. they greate more pressure than the other speakers do. SO when you say you metered a 156.4 dB.. where was the mic (not mike) placed ?? was it on the dash, 12" away from the A Pillar, 4 inches up off the dash and 1" away from the glass ?? OR... was the mic placed under the dash, in the kickpanel ( footwell) of the car? OR was the mic placed in the port of the speaker enclosure? If you said yes to the later 2 .. then that is OUTLAW.. where anything goes... the measurement of Alan Riley's van was taken on a EXTREMELY TOUGH mic, and it was on the dash ( LEGAL SPL). THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE !!!!! I am willing to bet you could not sit in Alan's van WITHOUT hearing protection, and say it didn't hurt.
you may ask who i am, My Name is Gabriel, Alan is a buddy of mine. The record he set ( 160.8 dB) broke the world record that i had set back in march at a show in South Padre Island,TX. you may check the results from that show at www.soundoff.org/usac1.htm look under legal world records ( archives) BTW>. I have 2 15s and 8000 watts ( JUST to the 15s) and 4 batteries and a big enclosure with BIG ports.
and not to put down your system, believe me I am not.. I totally respect anyone who has spent time and money in a hobby or sport such as car audio. cause it isn't cheap !!! BUT... the day that 1 jensen 600 watt amp and 2 DVC ( dual voice coil) subs beats my 8K with 15s, is the day i will quit competing.

BTW,... I have set 2 world records this year ( which have since been beaten.. scores jump big time in SPL)

both records were set in March ( mar3-5th) at SPring Break Jams at South Padre Island,TX.

Gabriel Ramirez
FORMER:
2001 dB Drag Racing Super Street No Wall World record holder 157.2dB
2001 USACI Pro Modified 601+ Watts World Record Holder 151.6dB ( the same mic that alan did his 160.8 on)

to give you a comparison, in dB Drag Racing, we use the Termlab software and mics. USACi LEGAL attempts are taken on a B&K mic. this B&K mic costs about $40K !. check with NASA. they use this to meter the space shuttle when they take off to see how loud it is)

also, as i mentioned i have 2 15s and 8000 watts.. at the time of his record, Alan had just 9 RF 15s, and 18 RF amps.. he now has 36 amps.

thanks for your time, and if I may be of some assistance, please let me know. I do not want to come off as being cocky , just wanted to let you guys know a lil about SPL and how loud cars really are. And btw... if you have the 12"dvc subs, and a 600 watt amp. 146db sounds right. TRUST ME... the 156 sounds a BIT high.. but you do have the foundation for a good street pounding system.

please feel free to visit the forum i frequent often. Termpro @
http://www.termpro.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

and here is a link to my competitor's stats page.

<LINK_TEXT text="http://www.termpro.com/asp/competitorst ... or_ID=8731">http://www.termpro.com/asp/competitorstats.asp?Competitor_ID=8731</LINK_TEXT>

and my homepage ( which needs updating..lol)

http://hometown.aol.com/gabe79/myhomepage/auto.html
thanks for your time

Gabriel Ramirez
"SPL Jester"

Team Gates
Team Noisy Toys
Team Crossfire
amen brother.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts