J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Replacing a Rusted out Rocker Panel, is it better to Stitch weld, Spot Weld, and Completely Weld in a New Rocker Panel? I would think that Completely Welding in a Rocker Panel would be best to keep Moisture out. The only problem I know about Welding the Entire Rocker Panel is the Potential Warpage. What do you recommend? Also, What have you used to replace the inner Rocker Panel? I have seen one guy use Angle Iron, which I thought was a good idea? One thing I noticed with my z24 is that it appeared that the Inner Rocker was Welding to the Vertical piece of sheet metal at the bottom (the location where you would place the supplied factory jack for lifting the car) and also spot welded together with the outer rocker and the floor boards just inside the door. Is this correct?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
do a bit of everything. you'll have to spot/stitch where the metal is thin. most small gauge metal can't be fully welded because you'll just burn thru. do a bunch of spots. then if your worried about sealing it.. run a bead of seam sealer over the whole area.

I rebuilt the inner rocker with some thicker gauge sheet metal. As far as lift points go, i also used thicker gauge metal there, and folded the bottom of the sheet metal and welded the seam shut, so that the jack wouldn't deform it.

working with metal is fun :)

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
psquare75 said:
Any real auto parts store

or also found in a caulking tube... whatever works best for the situation you need it for.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Thats correct, I like using the sealer in the caulking tube but whats easier for you is the best bet. You won't need to use alot of it. The easiest way is to use your finger. Wet your finger and than apply therefore spreading it very nicely and smooth. Be careful and not get it all over the place because it's a pain to take off!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
like barrok said you'll end up doing a little of both. i found it easier though to cut the entire old rocker out (Get a spot weld cutter for your drill, and an air chisel! you can have it cut out in an hour with these tools)
then on the new rocker i drilled holes around the edges and just spot welded it back onto the floor pan mimicking the factory welds, worked out great!
you'll have to do some sheet metal work on the rear quarter where you had to cut to get the rocker in, if you are like the majority of Z's your car was already rusted here anyway.
I'll probably just weld in some new metal as close as possible to the original shape of the car then use kitty hair to make it perfect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.