J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't seem to find this anywhere else, so does anyone have the specs for the stock 3100 valve springs? Are they the same as the 3400 springs? I'm trying to find out how much lift I can get out of a new camshaft without having to upgrade the springs or whatnot.

Ah, and also, the lift on the stock cam is 272 is it not? Anywho, TIA.

P.S. Sorry if I'm retarded an just didn't look in the right place for an answer. :lol:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, well, at least I don't have to replace the cam, lifters, pushrods AND springs :roll:

Oh well, not my money. Girlfriend's mom decided to put almost a quart of antifreeze in the engine a few days back and drove it around for a day or two before telling me the car was making a "funny noise". :lol:

Anywho, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
whitelightning2 said:
stock lift is .437 @ the valve and the stock springs suck, they float after 5500 RPM and have a coil bind of around 1.2" which means you can't use them on a performance cam of any kind ;)
aww crap. now i have to find another spring to break in my cam. whats another spring with a coil bind to match my .493int-.512ex lift? i cant break in my solid flat tappet on stiff springs. i dont really have to use beehives, do i? just got 3400 top end today BTW

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
34blazer said:
whitelightning2 said:
stock lift is .437 @ the valve and the stock springs suck, they float after 5500 RPM and have a coil bind of around 1.2" which means you can't use them on a performance cam of any kind ;)
aww crap. now i have to find another spring to break in my cam. whats another spring with a coil bind to match my .493int-.512ex lift? i cant break in my solid flat tappet on stiff springs. i dont really have to use beehives, do i? just got 3400 top end today BTW
you can use gen2 springs with the propper locks and retainers if you want. they'll even fit the stock 3400 spring seats. :)

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
34blazer said:
well i guess i need to find some gen2 valve springs then. i WAS thinking about using my ironhead oem springs but thats as far as i went with that.
as long as they don't coil bind with the added lift you'll be ok.. some good SBC springs would do the trick as well...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
yeah i have to have them checked. i wanted to stay with a lighter spring so i dont wipe another cam :lol: my kmotion springs are for sbc's but they are a 390# rate. im planning on putting those on once its broken in. i also have to mod my guide plates since the heads i have didnt have them. otherwise it smooth sailin :)
ps sorry to hyjack the thread...my lift(open) is 1.187. so im looking for a coilbind at 1.100 or less. hopefully my oem springs with work

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eh, so anyway, money was apparently no object, so I'm getting a custom grind camshaft from 60*v6.com (grind #1393), some nitrided LS1 springs, some custom length pushrods to go with the cam, and to top it all off, the heads might get ported. :D

I'm thinking that with the cam only having 533 valve lift, the LS1 springs may be...eh, I hesitate to say overkill...but maybe not necessary. I may go with the Comp Cams 26986 springs.And at almost $350 for set, they are a HELL OF A LOT cheaper. Any opinions on this?

And to boot, I may get to buy the car for $1000, in which case, I'm definitely getting some strengthened internals and I'm going to turbo it.

Any suggestions as to turbo size, intercoolers, plumbing, etc.?

Never turbocharged a 3100, or a 3400...or any 6 cylinder for that matter. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
voiceless said:
Eh, so anyway, money was apparently no object, so I'm getting a custom grind camshaft from 60*v6.com (grind #1393), some nitrided LS1 springs, some custom length pushrods to go with the cam, and to top it all off, the heads might get ported. :D

I'm thinking that with the cam only having 533 valve lift, the LS1 springs may be...eh, I hesitate to say overkill...but maybe not necessary. I may go with the Comp Cams 26986 springs.And at almost $350 for set, they are a HELL OF A LOT cheaper. Any opinions on this?

And to boot, I may get to buy the car for $1000, in which case, I'm definitely getting some strengthened internals and I'm going to turbo it.

Any suggestions as to turbo size, intercoolers, plumbing, etc.?

Never turbocharged a 3100, or a 3400...or any 6 cylinder for that matter. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
you can't run LS1's with that big of a cam.. they're only safe for around .430 to .440 lift on our heads.

you can run LS6's or better yet the comp 26915's which is what i'm using.

here is the set i bought: <LINK_TEXT text="http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku">http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CCA%2D26915%2D12&N=700+115&autoview=sku</LINK_TEXT>

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It would appear I was not only reading the wrong specs, but forgetting that my uncle told me almost the exact same thing when we were putting my aborted 3500 project together--we were going to run a pretty big cam, I think it was .585 or something. But yeah, I almost bought LS1 springs. That could have been a big damn headache.

At any rate, thanks for the link, I'll definitely give those a try. :D

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
voiceless said:
It would appear I was not only reading the wrong specs, but forgetting that my uncle told me almost the exact same thing when we were putting my aborted 3500 project together--we were going to run a pretty big cam, I think it was .585 or something. But yeah, I almost bought LS1 springs. That could have been a big damn headache.

At any rate, thanks for the link, I'll definitely give those a try. :D
np

and if you decide against the cam let me know as i have a set of LS1 springs sitting on the shelf from my old 3400. I might try to sell them at the bash though...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
whitelightning2 said:
34blazer said:
well i guess i need to find some gen2 valve springs then. i WAS thinking about using my ironhead oem springs but thats as far as i went with that.
as long as they don't coil bind with the added lift you'll be ok.. some good SBC springs would do the trick as well...
BTW my ironhead springs wont fit, i.d. is too small even without the oem dampner. i also need to buy longer head studs :roll: :evil: the ones on 60*store are way too much. i think ill try to custom order them if its cheaper. they need to be a half inch longer. im just gonna do all this over the winter along with porting and polishing. maybe a solid roller too. so my solid flat tappet is up for grabs if anyone wants it. thanks :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.