J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has an alarm system on it. although i dont have any key fobs or anything to activate it. the siren is bolted to the driver side strut tower and there is a toggle switch under the dash that makes it chipr when i flip it. anyone know if its stock and if i can get the key fobs and get some remote entry going on here? any info would help a lot.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
well it aint stock, i can definetly tell you that. try find the previous owner to see if he still has it.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
I concur, it is definatly not a factory equipped.

Depending on when it was installed and what brand/model it is, it may just be cheaper to install a completly new system, since older models had their limitations and sometimes replacement remotes are either not available or very costly.

I'd find the brain and see what it is and model, that way you can go to a shop that deals with that brand and at least inquire about getting new remote(s).

·
Registered
953 Posts
z24_ss said:
I had a alarm on mine with a gigantic GM sticker on it...it went retarded so I ripped it off 8)
Ya to us installers that is better known as a code-alarm, or even better yet a big piece of shit! Can't tell you how many of those things I removed and how badly they were installed. But no that still isn't factory, just something they put in at the dealership at time of original purchase.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
nascar2496 said:
ok, then what is the "audible warning system" in my fuse panel? and its def a professional job cause the toggle switch is hidden nicely.
the toggle is up under the dash right. that is where mine is. I also have a Chapman sticker on the window. Mine dosn't work anymore, the wires are cut and I took off the siren thing. I think it was a factory item that the deal installed.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
Ok, there was no factory J-body alarm available for the 2nds gens, even the 3rd gens in the early years did not have one designed for them. Dealers did have have alarms available, though.

wckdz24, good call on the Code alarm, I forgot that GM and Code were sleeping together at that time.

I don't think anyone implied that it wasn't a "professional" install, just that it wasn't factory.

It sounds like you might have the GM Code Alarm, so it will be a very "fun" task of finding remotes for it, I don't believe that GM (Code Alarm) still makes replacement remotes for them. If you do find one or some, programming is interesting depedning on the month (it seems) that that particular brain was made.

The "audible warning system" is that buzzer that makes a sound when you open the door with the keys still in the ignition, leave the lights on when you shut the car off, seat belt buzzer, etc.
In some years that fuse spot was used, other years it wasn't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.