J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I had my sunbird in a car show today, and when I left I stomped on the gas and there was an aweful sound. My car is a 5-speed 3.1 and each gear after 3000 rpm the car makes this sound like something is dragging on the ground. Of course nothing is though. It almost seems like it is coming from the catalytic converter. Has anyone experienced this? It only happens during acceleration. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Check to make sure your hangers are still intact for the exhaust system. Could be that the one of the hangers is missing and the pipe is vibrating or maybe the shield on the cat is gone.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I experienced one of the mystery noises a few months ago. It came on its own, and it eventually left on its own. It would get really bad during acceleration, but it would be even worse at idle, so I'd always hold the gas down a little to keep it from doing that so much. After all, there IS someone on the line next to me. It seemed that I fixed the problem when I put a new brace up right behind the catty, but it started up again a few days later. It almost sounded like a piece of the honeycomb broke off in the catty and was rattling around. My brother suggested hollowing it out, but I'd rather not pay for a new one come inspection time. After a month, it just went away.

Damn haunted cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts