J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend got a 1988 cavalier Z24 vert. a few days ago. It has the original struts which are shot. anyway I found a 1992-94 sunbird at the local you pull it yard with new struts on it (fully assembled with springs and such) and I did a parts reference and it says the the 1988-91 are different struts than the 1992-94 but ive been told that all 82-94 suspension parts will work. SO I was wondering if anyone knows for sure if the struts on a 1992 sunbird v6 will fit on a 1988 Z24? thanks...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
just the strut mounts are different

·
Registered
468 Posts
92+ Cavaliers and Sunbirds used 10" rotors while 91 and older used 9.5". As such, the front suspensions use some different parts. If you're going to be taking it apart, you might want to grab everything from the donor sunbird and upgrade to the larger brakes. The upper mount is different, but it just as well be installed on a different strut. See the How To for more information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chronos said:
. The upper mount is different, but it just as well be installed on a different strut.
im a little confused on how you worded it, I understand that the mount is different than the 1988 but dont understand the "just as well be on a different strut" part will the strut mount work with the 1988 even if its different or will I have to get new ones. the reason I want to know is I want to get the whole assembly and put it on without having to use spring copressors to do it cuz if i have to use spring compressors and buy new mounts ill just get new struts for an 1988 so. Will the strut/strunt mount fit or do ineed to get new mounts?

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
deadmeat said:
chronos said:
. The upper mount is different, but it just as well be installed on a different strut.
im a little confused on how you worded it, I understand that the mount is different than the 1988 but dont understand the "just as well be on a different strut" part will the strut mount work with the 1988 even if its different or will I have to get new ones. the reason I want to know is I want to get the whole assembly and put it on without having to use spring copressors to do it cuz if i have to use spring compressors and buy new mounts ill just get new struts for an 1988 so. Will the strut/strunt mount fit or do ineed to get new mounts?
you NEED to change the strut mounts, but the part number for an 88 cav and 94 cav strut is the same, but if you do take the struts off that sunbird take the knuckles as well as rotors and calipers since they are larger and provide somewhat better braking, also depending on the suspension RPO of the sunbird the springs might be a bit softer, since your changing the mounts anyway you should use the springs off the 1988

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool, thanks. im not sure of the RPO on the sunbird but its got the factory strut tower brace and factory rear sway bar where as the 1988 doesnt so it means the sunbird has the FE3 suspension i believe. Ill get the struts and probly the brakes and get some new mounts. thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.