J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new to this board but it looks good..

So, my question.. I have a 94 cav and when i hit a bump, the front makes a squeeqy sound.. also, when i get out of the car and push down over the wheels, the car sqweeks.. anyone know what's wrong here (if anything)

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
32 Posts
It may be the bushings on the front sway bar. My cavalier only has this problem in the winter when the bushings are hard but my friends car always makes a squeaking noise when going over bumps, dips, etc. It is more annoying than anything else.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Yes, it is probably the sway bar bushings. I replaced mine and the problem went away for a while, but every once in a while they still squeek. It is kind of strange, but if i spray them down with a garden hose and get them good and wet, the squeek will go away for a few weeks...
You could also try greasing them up a little

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This may sound stupid, but I don't don't think I have a sway bar, not after market anyway...

if all cars come with swaybars, then i'm retarted, sorry

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you're talking about the tower brace, 91's and up had them, I assume. I know 88's don't, ask blue88z, none of his had one. Nor did his friend who had the same car. I'm assuming the 2.8's and the '90 3.1 didn't have them.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
No, not the strut tower brace. This is on the underside of the engine & connects to the control arms (or somewhere around there)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well,
I was under the car last night, and whenever my bro pushed down over the wheel, the sqweek came from ontop of the control arm, but not as far as the wheel... as suspected, it apears that the bushings in the stabilizer bar are shot... should be easy enough to change myself - just two nuts I think-

Anyways, thanks for all the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts