J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this should go in the car audio section, but there's like 3 posts in there so I doubt anyone reads it...

My amp, a Sony, has decided to quit working, while the "over current" and another light (forget what it is) stay lit. I've tried flattening out the EQ in the player, and disconnecting/reconnecting both the power and input to the amp, yet it stays non-functional.

I remember reading what to do in this situation in the manual, but I forget now. The manual, of course, is back at home (3 hour drive), packed away in a random box somewhere because I just moved. Yay.

Anyone out there have a Sony amp and know what's going on here? Any ideas? I don't want to deal with Sony on this one, I'll end up holding forever.

·
Registered
129 Posts
hmm.. sounds like something was crossed.. to figure out whats wrong we gotta know what happend first. did u connect the speaker wire running off of the amp? or did u forget to unplug the batt wire connected to the amp?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the other warning light on the amp is 'offset', btw...

the thing is, I didn't DO anything! One day my amp was working, the next time I got in my car, it wasn't.

On a related note... the fuse that was powering the amp blew (most likely because I pulled it out and put it back in, but maybe not) and I replaced it, but it's still not working.

also... my fogs are wired to the same power as my amp. That may be part of the problem

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just had a thought on what might have caused this...
I have one of those nifty CD/MP3 head units, and I had just burnt a brand new MP3 CD before my amp decided to stop working.

A lot of my MP3s have those nasty pops and skips that MP3s sometimes have, and I think that maybe one of those really nasty pops could have caused my amp to recieve "over current".

Now it's just a matter of resetting the amp somehow so it functions again...

·
Registered
50 Posts
you may want to check to see if u blew a fuse from the fuse box in your car. or since you have a sony amp, they are known for blowing like that. my suggestion? buy a different brand, they dont last.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts