J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I made a custom box and have 2 12" subs on the front of it and 1 10" sub on each side of the box.
What direction should the 12" subs point, they are in the trunk so should they face the interior (my rear seats fold down) or towards the trunk lid?
Which will deliver better sound?

Thanks
Erik

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will this add vibration to the car? I already added a silicone seal on everything (lights, etc)

Also, does anyone know if there is a company that makes subs that don't require any box?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
HAHA. I would certainly think that 4 subs would vibrate the car!. 4 subs are gona vibrate the car no matter how you arrange em.

Yes, there are some "free air" subs out there, ones that don't need a box. do a search on http://www.crutchfield.com or something

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At the moment with the 2x600W 12" powered by 800W's and 2x600 10" powered by 800W's and 2x200W 6x9 powered by 200W's There is NO rattle of any kind, I went around and siliconed everything and Used Loc Tite on everthing possible and tighened it all up. The only thing that happened so far was that the driver side door handle has that little metal spring thing, it broke and I have to replace it. I was just wondering what the real advantage to facing them backwards is? wouldn't forward give you more sound? I was just curious about the physics of it all.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey fellas, I just registered on here so i dont have any pictures on here yet but i got a question. I have 4 rockford z's runnin on a xplod 800 and a rockford 1000 and it rattles like whoa. Ive looked and cant find and lining anywhere except for dynamat and i dont wanna put 250 bills into insulation. what do you think i should do?

·
Registered
129 Posts
heh.. well first off. welcome. second next time you might want to post it as a new topic so we can see it better.. the way i solved my rattling is quite easy and didnt cost me more then $5. first of all go out and get some really hard but flexy foam (i used a wash/cutting board thingy made of this hard/flexy foam) next take off the back lighting (has hand screws at inside of trunk) next place the foam in the big rattle spots and tape it down so it stays where its supposed to. next put the lighting back on the car and tighten the lights as tight as they were before (maybe a little tighter) and last but not least drill two holes where the liecence plate bottom is (gm didnt drill holes for some odd reason for the bottom of the liecence plate) theres nothing behind it so dont worry. next put two sheet metal screws in and tighten till you figure its tight.
boom theres the best way to get rid of that rattle.
the next part is the spoiler/luggage rack if ya got one. basicly the only thing u can do is tighten the screws or put a small amount of foam underneath it. that got rid of almost all my rattles.

but as for a replacement of dynamat ive heard of people using insulation and putting a plastic over it but i doubt that will do anything but dampen the sound a fraction.

hope this helps

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey thanks frostbyte. i appretiate it. ill give that all a try and see if it all stops. i think i have some ratteling in the front too but i cant tell over the trunk. but im sure ill figure it all out. thanks again

·
Registered
54 Posts
trust me it dosent seem like much but it hits hard
im running
alpine 7996 deck 60x4 with a 4volte pre out
2 rockford fosgate 10s in a
rockforod fosgate bandbass box
punch 550 amp pounding the 10s
fosgat 3" front
alpine type "R" 6X9 s
one gauge power wire
10 gauge speaker wire
1" tweets in door piller post
kenwood 426 pounding my 6x9s
in my 1991 z24 it is a windoradiling system for under 2000 cdn

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
90mikez24 said:
i like when im in my friends car and he sits the sub on my lap it is the best place i have heard a sub
i just liked the vibrations u got,u got a little to happy :lol: :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts