J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
It can very.

That has more to do with the subwoofer itself than the enclosure it's in. If the sub has a strong suspension, then it will be difficult to push on the cone, if it's a loose suspension it will not be.

·
Banned
7,153 Posts
My subs move freely when out of the box, but are stiff when sealed into the box. If your subs are hard to push when they're not in a sealed box, you have frozen or damaged voice coils.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
tiny1877 said:
My subs move freely when out of the box, but are stiff when sealed into the box. If your subs are hard to push when they're not in a sealed box, you have frozen or damaged voice coils.
You haven't used upper end subs then, most such as the JL W7 have a very stifff suspension, and are harder to move the cone by pushing than a lesser sub.

I disagree with six on this.

If your sub is in a sealed box it should not press in or is very stiff/hard to push in.

Otherwise the sub is NOT truly sealed. Usually the sub leaks around wire terminals and where the sub mounts, not to mention the screw heads.

When I seal a sub in, that sumbitch is SEALED
Play with more sealed enclosures, I have built MANY that were completly sealed, absolutly zero air leaks, and the subs, being a lesser sub were still easy to move. ;) This is especially true in a "larger" enclosure, where there is more volume to compress. ;)

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
i would get a ported box,in a trunk with a closed in space sounds best with ported,but if your going to have the seats down all the time then get non-ported.Thats what i find is best anyways.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
this is funny.

Sealed = Sound Quality

Ported = More Boom. a.k.a boom

yes some ported ones sound like ass, like prefab boxes with random subs tossed in.If built right a Ported can sound just as good but hit harder.

·
Registered
153 Posts
ahhh a truly heated subject! Heres my opinion.
Sealed boxes are amazing! always ran them always will. In a sealed box, you run a slighty less chance of bottoming or overextending the sub due to the "cushion" of sealed air behind the sub. Plus in a sealed box, you usually get a tighter, rapid bass.

Now ported boxes. alot of people will tell you that a ported box will produce lower, chestpounding bass but i dont believe i this. What they do is "enhance" a given frequency range depending on the paired sub. This, to me, is good for extreme wattage db drag vehicles, but not everyday rides. The ported box will give u a slightly slower, more raw bass as to a sealed boxs tight, quick punch.

Like i said, ive been running various systems for atleast 5 years now and I have been more than pleased with the chest-thumping bass that my sealed box produces. But who knows, everyone likes something different.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
kamakazi_ss said:
ahhh a truly heated subject! Heres my opinion.
Sealed boxes are amazing! always ran them always will. In a sealed box, you run a slighty less chance of bottoming or overextending the sub due to the "cushion" of sealed air behind the sub. Plus in a sealed box, you usually get a tighter, rapid bass.

Now ported boxes. alot of people will tell you that a ported box will produce lower, chestpounding bass but i dont believe i this. What they do is "enhance" a given frequency range depending on the paired sub. This, to me, is good for extreme wattage db drag vehicles, but not everyday rides. The ported box will give u a slightly slower, more raw bass as to a sealed boxs tight, quick punch.

Like i said, ive been running various systems for atleast 5 years now and I have been more than pleased with the chest-thumping bass that my sealed box produces. But who knows, everyone likes something different.
Sorry, but you're wrong.

MY 2 12W7's PORTED in my car is a perfect example. The box was constructed porperly and tuned properly. Also my Amp has a SubSonic filter to ensure the subs won't Bottom out. To date this is the best sounding/tightest responce set-up I've owned.

The Box design/install can make a $800 sub sound like a $800 sub if done carrect, also it can make it sound like a $75 sub if done wrong.

Also can be said for a $99 sub sounding like a MUCH MORE expensive sub in the properly designed box/install.

With most subs today, a PORTED BOX will make almost a 2-3db gain compared to a Sealed box in the EXACT same application with the same power. Just because of the BOX. Thee only down side to a PORTED box is the SIZE, they are QUITE a bit BIGGER.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.