J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized today that my car is a suicide machine. I say that because i think it tried to kill me...how you ask? Well, while passing another car, my car decided it wanted to jerk to the right for some odd reason. Almost hit right into the guy beside me. At first I thought maybe it was caused by the road being bumpy...but i did some testing and here's what happens. When I floor it, the handling is almost unpredictable. The steering feels really loose for a few seconds and tries to turn to the right. It also tries to turn to the right just for a second while accelerating after a stop. I asked a mechanic and he didn't know what the hell could be causing this. Any ideas? Moon, you must have some kind of idea what could be wrong with my car??

·
Registered
67 Posts
I saw a program on FOX about this a while back... said that cars could think on their own.
So your car might be evil

Or you might be crazy...

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Sounds like some mean torque stear to me! This is caused by unequal torque at each of the drive wheels in front wheel drive cars. It is usually not much of a problem in our cars though, because of the equal length half shafts. Sounds like you may have broke something in on the passenger side drive shaft, like the shaft itself, or the CV Boot, causing no power to go to the passenger side wheel, causing the car to steer right. Crawl under there and see if you see any obvious signs of breakage, or a tear in the boot.

Or the camber could have gotten wacked. If one wheel is angled different than the other, it will torque stear. If nothing seems broken, it may just need an alignment. Thats all I can think of offhand...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would check out your steering because (sorry moon) if you have a broken cv or axle the car will not move (no posi) all the power will go to the wheel that is easiest to turn (broken one) it sounds like you have someting loose in the front end (tie rods steering rack, ball joints etc.) the car should pull alittle bit (torque steer) but if you have huge power it will do it worse. but if it just started doing it then you probbaly have somthing going wrong.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Yeah, I guess I didn't think about the fact that if something was completly broke,it would try to turn that wheel, since it had the least resistance. CV boot could break, and still kinda work, but it would probably be making a buncha noise.

·
Registered
222 Posts
did you notice it more after hitting the brakes?
if so it could b a caliper that is starting to ceise up on you , that or check your strut tower bearings they might b sticking and by stepping on it your lifting some of the weight off of the front end and it's placing itself and thus giving you pull. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I once had a dodge lancer that did this... when I took off and hammered the brakes it would steer to the right, the problem was a bad Axle rod or something... don't know if it's the same problem as this, but eventually the "axle arm" or whatever it was broke from the tranny and I lost all my gears. $700 CDN damage

don't know why I ever fixed that POS. anyway if this doesn't help, at least you can laugh at my old car
here I'll get you started... Hahahahahaha

·
Registered
679 Posts
next on fox....

"WHEN GOOD CARS GO BAD PART 348"

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys, i'll keep all that in mind. I noticed something else too that could possibly be related to this. While pulling out of a parking space and turning the wheel as far as it goes, i'll hear a weird sound coming from somewhere down there. Sounds like 2 pieces of metal rubbing together or somtheing, hard to tell. Could this somehow be related to the torque steer?

·
Registered
202 Posts
that sounds like your CV axle (same problem as the lancer above0, they make a grinding sound when you have the steering at full lock one way or the other. You should be able to tell which side and just replace that axle.

good luck.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it is a bad CV axle, will replacing it fix the torque steer?

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's tough to say with cars one unrelated part could make something else go wrong, so im not 100%sure if this would fix your torque steer problem but it wont hurt especaly when the cv is already on the way out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts