J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if a superchaged 3.8 L from a Pontiac Grand prix GTP would fit in a Z24? With 240 hp, those damn imports would be even farther away in my mirrors.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Yeah, it will fit with quite a bit of work. Racetech up in Canada will do the conversion for around 6 grand, I beleive it was. It's a tight fit that doesn't leave room for AC or PS, but it will make for a quick car, thats for sure, especially if you do some internal mods to the engine and crank up the boost

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No ps or ac, that would be a bummer...maybe a 3.4 would be a better idea. That was my original idea but i've heard bad stuff about the 3.4L . They got plenty of power but everybody i know who has one has trouble with theirs. Anyway...my 3.1 is still good for at least another 100 000 kms so there's no rush.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
The 3.4 your have probably heard bad stuff about is the 3.4 DOHC. That is the engine in the Cutlass and some other applications. The 3.4 you would need to swap into your car is the 3.4L OHV. It is just a larger version of our engine, where the 3.4L DOHC is a totally different contraption, and is is known for its problems. It makes more HP, but it is WAY larger than the 60 deg V6 and does not fit without a major frame hack job. It is larger than the 3.8. You need a 3.4 VIN "E". Think it is the one in some of Chevy's mini vans.

·
Registered
17 Posts
True that,
My mom has a 95 Monte Carlo Z34 (3.4L) and the engine has been mostly flawless. Minor troubles like alternator and such but that was after 60k. But that little hussie MOVES. Especially for such a heavy car.
Joe

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think a 3.4L from a new grand am would fit in a Z24? Although it only has 175 HP (less than the DOHC Z34 engine), it's still more than a 3.1. My goal is to have 200 HP in my Z24. A 3.4L with a few mods should get me close.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Yeah, it should work. It still isn't going to be a simple swap however. There are all kinds of little things that will come up I am sure. A few that I know are, the engine mounts won't line up, and neither will the exhaust. Other custom parts will need to be made as well.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the 3.4 idea doesn`t work, i`ll just have a new 3.1 from an impala or something put in and modify the hell out of it. They got way more power to start with than our 3.1s. Either way, i will have 200+ hp some day.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Moon, you know of a 3.4 that shouldn't have too many problems fitting in a z24? i mean, how would one avoid the motor mount problem? would the computer have to be changed? could i use the intake manifold from my 2.8 or do i need a different one? A 3.4 is one of my intended mods

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Think about it, a 3.4L would cost about 2 grand to put in a Z24, while U can get a Z34 for about same price as a Z24.
I almost bought one, but its expensive to maintain. My phylosophy is that if you want a faster car, buy one. Example: 88 Mustang Cobra 5L H.O with Saleen BOdy kit about $4000 cnd. Want to try to make your cavalier as fast as that Mustang with 4 grand??. Good Luck, you'll need it. IN other words, its not worth investing that much $$$ in a Cavalier, because in the end, it would have just been easier and cheaper to get a big V8. If I want performance I'll buy a 5.7L Camaro, if I want Fuel economy, Ill get a 4 cyl. Cav, and if I want a good Combination of both, which I do, I'll get what I allready have, a Z24.

-John

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think i've been misunderstood here. My goal isn't to make my Z24 faster than a Z28. All i want is a new 3.1 when my current one (with about 215 000 kms on it, and driven hard at times) is out of comission. Sure, it would be nice to own the fastest cavalier in the world, but that would be rediculously expensive to do. 'be kinda rice too, like those stupid riceboys throwing tens of thousands of bucks into their litle civics. A new 3.1 when needed, alond with a few minor mods will give me a 200 hp Z24. It might not beat camaros and mustangs, but hell, it beats an old beat up 140 hp 3.1

·
Registered
34 Posts
John, i have gone down that road before. I hade a 3.1 Lumina, i liked it. it was a little, how should i say this, old people for me. No offence to the Lumina, its a great car but it didn't have much to offer on the interior. I wrecked it.

I then wanted somthing with alot of horse power and something hard to find. I went with a 86 Monte Carlo Luxury Sport 305. It was a nice car, but the lousy 160 hp and 15 mpg wasn't much to brag about. Not to mention it burned a quart a month and looked like s***.

Now, I've sold my Monte, i Intended to find something with just as much pep with not so much money needed to invest into to make it look nice. I got an 89 Cavi z24. I love the styling, I already loved the FWD 60 degree set up. I will probably never look back.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's true, the old 305s do suck. A Z24 will beat pretty much any car with a 305 from the early to mid 80s. I would know, one of my friends has an '84 olds cutlass with a 305 and it sucks for the size of the engine in it. We raced from a dead stop and he couldn't keep up at all. He was sure his old 5.0 would whoop my 3.1's ass...guess he was wrong eh? Lots of people underestimate cavaliers and it's nice to show those idiots what our cars can do!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts