J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realised my 90 Z24 doesn't have a door switch for the lights anywhere. I guess it's been too long since I actually had interior lights I can't remember, and couldn't find one anywhere. I did notice in the rear of the door sill there is a black plug, I assume that maybe that is where they would go. Was "illuminated entry" an option on the J's or what? I'm wiring up the mirrior from my 94 Cutlass I junked, and got that all figured out as far as wiring on the mirror for the lights. I also have my headliner out, and found an orange/white wire that is constant power, and need to have one that is powed normally, but disconnected when the door is open or the switch is in the "dome on" position. Has anywone done anything smilar to this? I checked the wiring by testing the connector from my 96 cutlass, and I'm grabbing a wiring connecter/pigtal from a J/Y cutlass tomorrow after work(forgot to take that out of my 94)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks for the quick reply, I wonder if the white wire is the switched wire, I'll go check that out.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
pezed said:
white is grounded when the door is open.
QFT!

The door latch dome switch started in 1990.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info, yeah I just figured that out a min ago :roll: should have looked first lol. It grounds when the door is open, in my cutlass when I checked the wiring, there is a constant ground, constant batt. and one that is powered at all times unless the door is opened or switch is thrown. The Cutlass's also had the auto delayed dimming deal too, where when you get into your car or get out of it, and shut the door the interior lights stay on about 30 seconds, and then gradually dim till off. I am not too worried about that.

From what I found out by testing ,my 96 CS, the constant batt. and ground are so you can use the map-lights at any time without throwing the switch or opening the door, and the other wire is a positive that gets switched off when the door opens or the switch is thrown.

On the Z24, there is a constant power and a switched ground. I'm trying to figure out how to go from a switched ground to a switched positive. I could just hook it up so they go on with the door and light switch, but want it to function like it did so I can use them individually at any time.

·
Registered
538 Posts
rockyz24 said:
On the Z24, there is a constant power and a switched ground. I'm trying to figure out how to go from a switched ground to a switched positive. I could just hook it up so they go on with the door and light switch, but want it to function like it did so I can use them individually at any time.
Just connect the orange to the orange, the white to the white, and wire the black ground. It'll still come on with the doors, and the map lights will come on with the switches.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
skunkworks_zed said:
rockyz24 said:
Just connect the orange to the orange, the white to the white, and wire the black ground. It'll still come on with the doors, and the map lights will come on with the switches.
QFT!

The Cutlass still used a switched ground to control the lights on and off function via the door.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just finished it up, after being used to no lights for 6 months its kind of nice to finally be able to see. I like the map-lights on the mirror because when going down the road, a passenger can flip on the pass. side light and it's not as bad of a glare so you can still see if your on the road or in the ditch :lol: I'd like to mount some on each side in the back above the windows. After owning 3 cutlass's (they have 2 on mirror, 1 under each side of the dash, 2 on the side above back windows, and one on the back of the console), I think the Z24's suck for interior lighting. I love my Z24, but it's all the little things that piss me off and make me think damn they built these things cheap. :lol:

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
your Z might have lights under the dash also... some do and some dont.. make sure the bulbs arent just burned out.
my 88 Z, 88 firenza, and 89 cavy all have lights under the dash.. but my 94 cavy does not!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah it probably did, but I never put the pieces back together since I re-did my heater core over a year ago lol, I didn't even put the glove box back in cause I was going to JB-weld the plastic support piece underneath it, and well now it's a year and a half later. My Z has been my DD for almost 3 years now and the poor thing gets neglected on small cosmetic details because I'm always fixing something mechanical so I can drive it. By the time I get it back on the road, I don't want to spend the time on that stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.