J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took out my cluster to remove the trip odometer reset that was broke.

when I put everything back together the tach is at 0rpm at idle, goes up when I rev, but then back to 0

WTF, I thought it was supposed to be self-resetting?

and yes I put it back where it was before, even though thats not supposed to matter :-?

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
Take out the cluster.

Remove the clear cover.

Connect your lap top through the ALDL port, open Tuner Pro RT, look at the RPM is states, then remove the needle and place it on teh point where it matches what TPRT says.

Remove cluster, replace the clear cover and re-install.

The tach is not "self zeroing". It will return back to a point where the mechanics are zero, but the tach has no idea where the pointer itself is.

What you've done is set the pointer at a point below the actual RPM and so when the tach returns to idle it hits the peg first.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok got it, looks like what happened is when you take the cluster out, the speedo and tach move around freely but the other ones dont. so I put it back to where it had "floated around to" which was off.

I got it pretty close its like 200 rpm off now even though I placed it dead on errr...

I'll finish tomorrow.....

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
Yeah it sometimes take a few attempst to get it right. It seems that as you push it on, it gets turned by just a bit.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I spoke too soon :lol:

the speedo was way off today too lol

also, the trip odometer isnt moving at all, I manually reset it to 0 by pushing it with a screwdriver. do I need to get a whole new cluster?? I didnt see anything wrong with the gears

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
scott0999 said:

also, the trip odometer isnt moving at all, I manually reset it to 0 by pushing it with a screwdriver. do I need to get a whole new cluster?? I didnt see anything wrong with the gears
if the black trip odo reset is broken then the trip doesnt work, mines broken and the way the reset button works is it holds a rod in the right spot to have the gears contact the trip odo when the thing breaks the rod moves and the trip stops moving if i were you i would jsut get another cluster and set the mileage to what your current cluster says and be done with it, they are cheap at a wrecker anyways just make sure you get a 92-94 cluster the 91 ones won't work if you have abs still working in your car

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
seanski said:
scott0999 said:

if the black trip odo reset is broken then the trip doesnt work, mines broken and the way the reset button works is it holds a rod in the right spot to have the gears contact the trip odo when the thing breaks the rod moves and the trip stops moving if i were you i would jsut get another cluster and set the mileage to what your current cluster says and be done with it, they are cheap at a wrecker anyways just make sure you get a 92-94 cluster the 91 ones won't work if you have abs still working in your car
I took the reset button out and manually reset it. left the button out.. it turned over fine but doesnt count up at all

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
scott0999 said:
seanski said:
scott0999 said:

I took the reset button out and manually reset it. left the button out.. it turned over fine but doesnt count up at all
yea if you leave the button out it won't count up, mine has the button still but its not touching anything related to the trip odo cause it broke and it won't count up at all ever

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
you dont really need to use aldl to reset the needle.. just turn on your igntion but dont start the car.. the tach and speedo needles will point dead on 0 then. then just put the needle on at 0.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
pezed said:
you dont really need to use aldl to reset the needle.. just turn on your igntion but dont start the car.. the tach and speedo needles will point dead on 0 then. then just put the needle on at 0.
I only suggested using Tuner Pro RT, because he has it and it's a lot more acurate than trying to get it on "0", especially with the pin right there. I always find it easiest to set the needle back on with the engine idling. Yes I have done this a few times.

·
Banned
7,153 Posts
Six_Shooter said:
pezed said:
I only suggested using Tuner Pro RT, because he has it and it's a lot more acurate than trying to get it on "0", especially with the pin right there. I always find it easiest to set the needle back on with the engine idling. Yes I have done this a few times.
I dunno about yours, but my cav (or any other I've seen) never idled steady enough to be able to do that and have it accurate. I'd go with the 0 method as pez stated...

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the tips

newest issue is the speedo doesnt move smoothly up/down, im guessing its rubbing -- pushed down too far or something

they should of just made the damn needles keyed so they go in the right way :lol: :guns:

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
tiny1877 said:
Six_Shooter said:
pezed said:
I dunno about yours, but my cav (or any other I've seen) never idled steady enough to be able to do that and have it accurate. I'd go with the 0 method as pez stated...
Mine always have, at least to be winin about 25 RPM at idle, to factory tachs react so slow that the accuracy in a sweep is very far off. At any given steady RPM they seem to be pretty decent though.

I recall playing with my tach....er nfstyl's tach in his '92 and in a sweep in nuetral, the OEM tach lagged behind by as much as about 500 RPM.

In addition every gauge face installation manual suggest using idle to reset the gauge needles, once it's warmed up, so that the gauge motors will be a steady spot.

Scott, try just lightly pulling up on the needle, when you push down, you can actually push the gauge armature off center and causes it to lightly jam up. I have alos noticed that sometimes you need to push it in farther, it really just depends on how the armature is set after re-assembly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.