J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday for shits and giggles I tossed out the PhaseI tails and mid section and put on a set of Phase II lying around. (had to dremel out the second bulb hole the lil bastard!!) So I'm thinking... Ehh looks ok but I really would like to do a LED rear tail conversion for some super bright tails and brake lights. Anyone done LED conversion yet? If so got a how to? I'm looking for lots of light back there when I hit the brakes. Make it like a friggin cop car pulling someone over it's so bright. I just don't know anything about LED's really. maybe there's already a simple slap in kit out there somewhere.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you don't want to wire up a custom circuit board, then just buy LED stock replacement bulbs. You can get them cheap on eBay... do a search for something like "1157 red LED" or something along those lines.

Also, Brad had a topic like this a few months back, theres some useful info in there.

Edit: The higher the MCD rating on the LEDs, the brighter they are... if you want something crazy bright find some rated at 10,000 MCD and up. I think 40,000 would get some attention :lol:

·
Registered
258 Posts
skunkworks_zed said:
If you don't want to wire up a custom circuit board
Any more info on this? I've only seen it done once but if I were to do a custom board I'd like to know all of the information on it before I blow up some bulbs... :lol:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
joelallenclear said:
skunkworks_zed said:
If you don't want to wire up a custom circuit board
Any more info on this? I've only seen it done once but if I were to do a custom board I'd like to know all of the information on it before I blow up some bulbs... :lol:
You an get a prototype board from any electronics supplier... Or if you want to be fancy.. Etch your own board or get one made.

The hardest part is mounting everything and that crap... The wiring and electrical is easy.

·
Registered
538 Posts
joelallenclear said:
What about dealing with the resistors and stuff? (I'm pretty electronically declined at the moment)
Check out www.the12volt.com, theres some good info on there that will get you started in the right direction.

Edit: And no problem Jake :wink:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,284 Posts
Jake,

Here is the thread that I started a bit ago about my LED tails.

I really would like to do the same thing that you are planning on. I had the center lens of my 1993's tail lights wired up for 1157 bulbs and it worked well, but I need LED's for that application due to heat and light dispersement problems.

www.superbrightleds.com is the place that I was looking into trying out some bulbs just to see if they look alright before buying myself a full set.

Brad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.