J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For people that are wondering if they should go with Taylor or MSD, I tried both and I can told you go with MSD hands down.

MSD
- Bigger wires
- MUCH MUCH easier to remove from the spark plug
- Looks like the overall quality is much better too

Taylor
- Always tear apart when you try to remove them (even carefully) from the plugs. I know you can buy the special tool they have to remove them but I don't see why I would pay for a tool to remove my spark plug wires. It's not my problem if they cant make them to not get stuck on the plugs.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
I've had the exact opposite experiance.

I prefer Taylor the middle and upper series, the cheaper sets are not much better than stock.

I find the Taylors take longer to break down, in otherwords, lose ability to transfer spark, where as my last set of MSDs only lasted a few months before showing signs of this.

I don't have the problems with removing them when using the dilectric grease. Yes the Taylors clamp better onto the plugs and coils themselves, but that is a good thing, means better energy transfer. ;)

I'll stick with Taylors, much better than the MSD IMO.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
scott0999 said:
Six_Shooter said:
Yes the Taylors clamp better onto the plugs and coils themselves, but that is a good thing, means better energy transfer. ;)
bah, my MSD's click on tight as hell maybe you got a crappy set
Nope, I've used a LOT of MSD wire sets, not only on my vehicles, but other people's vehicles as well, all of them seem to have a loose fit, as compared to the Taylors.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
whitelightning2 said:
I only use Accel Superstock cut-to-fit kits. I've never had a problem with them and they perform great. :)

Plus, if you get the V8 straight boot kit you get all kinds of extra parts incase something does happen to one of them. :p
The cheapy $20 autozone kit? :lol: Those wires suck.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
88ragtop said:
Six_Shooter said:
I don't have the problems with removing them when using the dilectric grease.
Grease good. Good to see I'm not the only one using it.

- Frank
dont over do it though, you dont want to get hydraulic lock and them be a PITA to get off.. :wink:

and my new 8mm Taylor Spiro Pro's are very nice BTW. :)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
i use taylors my self. i have herd tons of ppl say there msd's fit loose. alot of honda guys have to zip tie them to here dizzy b/c they are so loose. dave u are one of the very few ppl i have ever herd say they like the accel 8.8 uni kit or accel in general

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
psquare75 said:
whitelightning2 said:
I only use Accel Superstock cut-to-fit kits. I've never had a problem with them and they perform great. :)

Plus, if you get the V8 straight boot kit you get all kinds of extra parts incase something does happen to one of them. :p
The cheapy $20 autozone kit? :lol: Those wires suck.
more like $45 iirc.. it's been a while though.

they've ran fine on my T/A and the Z. the only reason i replaced them on the Z 2 years ago was when i did the 3400 swap and they were all dirty.. lol

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
The accel wires were like 30-ish from oreilly's, FYI

And they run the car just fine. I really doubt that if i were to switch to taylor's or MSD's that my car would get any faster :roll: Only thing i dont like about them is the yellow :lol: but it was the only cut-to-fit wire set i could get on short notice, it was all that was keeping the car from running. For the price, not a damn problem yet :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.