J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about getting a bigger TB, but not wanting to spend $300.

I remember seeing 70mm TB's for $50 on 60v6, but you need a 3500 plenum for those..

is there some car you can get a 60+ mm tb off that will work with the 3400 plenum?

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
Not that I'm aware of.

The 4.3 SFI TB from the 2nd gen S-series can be adapted, I don't recall the size off hand.

It's definatly not a bolt on, but easily found inthe wrecking yard.

I have an idea for using two TBs, maybe in a sequntial set-up where the second TB opens nearer WOT, like the secondaries on an old mechanical carb would.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Six_Shooter said:
Not that I'm aware of.

The 4.3 SFI TB from the 2nd gen S-series can be adapted, I don't recall the size off hand.

It's definatly not a bolt on, but easily found inthe wrecking yard.

I have an idea for using two TBs, maybe in a sequntial set-up where the second TB opens nearer WOT, like the secondaries on an old mechanical carb would.
That'ed deffinatly make things interesting!

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
i made up an adapter for a 75mm tb to 3500 plenum. but 75mm was overkill for boost! go 62mm

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
It must be nice to have the products you pay for.

Yeah, I haven't decided fully on what direction to go with the TB situation for my new engine. I'm really leaning towards the dual TB, even if I have them open at a 1:1 ratio, since the TBs I'm thinking about are easy to come by and would outflow the largest of single TBs that are used on these engines, with better part throttlw manners, due to the twin smaller blades.

·
Registered
931 Posts
The 4.3l is 70mm stock, and has a restrictor/baffle on the plate so that it's not so touchy when partially opened.

IIRC the 5.3l has the same bolt pattern as the 4.3l, and I know the 5.3L has the same bolt pattern as a northstar (75mm) TB that ryan hess was selling on 60degreev6.com.

65mm is getting close if not the limit on the 3400 plenum.

The 4.3l /etc TB's have 3 bolts in a triangle pattern.

You might be able to adapt a 65mm ford 4.6l/5.0l TB to the plenum, and just use 2 of it's holes. I know that works for 3500's. But then you gotta fab up something for the IAC. (I hear there is aftermarket GM IAC adapters for ford motors for people using aftermarket computers).

Another idea is a Jeep 4.0L 60mm TB, I think the IAC is compatible with the ECM.

That's all I know of. I'm going to half the throttle shaft in my 3400 TB and thin the back shaft and cut the screws shorter for a few more CFM and call it good. I'm not sure that a bigger TB will net me more power even though my plenum takes 65mm stock.

EDIT: Another option is to take the 3400 TB to a local machine shop and have them bore it to the limit (60-61mm) and cut a new plate for it. Then you can halve the shaft and it should be pretty good then and still bolt up and work like stock but be pimp inside! ;) I've heard local shops charge ~80 to do something like this

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
stock 65mm ford tb, adapted for like 25$ lol.. get an iac adapter or something like a fast idle valve and you're good.

although i have to say, 65mm is probably overkill. a 62mm tb sounds like a solid plan.

or 2 tb's like six said :wink:

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
isaachayes said:
Just wondering, how the magic # 62mm came up? Seems to have been popular way back when 3.1mpfi was the only motor being modded.
I never thought about that, until I just read this. I wonder why the "62mm" TB seems to be "the" size to have.

david_315 said:
Six_Shooter said:
It must be nice to have the products you pay for.
thats kinda funny i am sorry that he ripped you off though. its nice that you keep bashing him though about it :)
Yeah, I'm hoping that by doing this, one day I might actually receive it, or get my money back. I really wish it would not have come to this, but unfortunatly it has.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
whitelightning2 said:
the TCE 65mm unit is well worth the money. :wink:
X2

I got one, and its freakin sweet :D Gives the intake a completely different sound when you step on it.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
barrok69 said:
whitelightning2 said:
X2

I got one, and its freakin sweet :D Gives the intake a completely different sound when you step on it.
Do you get the sweet whistle from the IAC motor too?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
whitelightning2 said:
barrok69 said:
whitelightning2 said:
X2

Do you get the sweet whistle from the IAC motor too?
haha yeah :D right around 2500 rpm with the tuning i've been doing with throttle follower changes. It only whistles during transient throttle pedal activity though. My guess is theres a sharp edge in there that probly needs to be rounded off, but it really doesn't bother me at all. I also get a big loud whooshing sound too when I let off the gas real quick, sounds like a slow BOV :D

so many people come up to me asking me what kind of turbo I have :D ik'm like its a t3/t4....... and its mounted to a cardboard box in my basement :guns:

·
Registered
931 Posts
The TCE/60degreev6 store unit is very nice. And it's actually cheaper than what companies sell bored out or bored out/sleeved units for. It's $245 if you swap your linkage on yourself which is a no-brainer.

I get the same whistle with stock 3100 and 3400 TB's. My air box is modded though. It doesn't have the loud cone filter effect since it's still a box and that keeps it quiet but you do hear the air sucking. Mmm whoosing sound. haha. Something is fascinating with weird noises from engine breathing. I guess it's the kid in us haha. I always liked the idea of putting a duck call on the BOV of a turbo car LOL. I would do it!! hahaha Vrooom *QUACK* hahaha

Does the larger TB give more of a deeper sound compared to 3x00 TB?

I'm guessing the 62mm was from Franz's TB's and sorta stuck as a good diameter? I wonder why he picked it? Perhaps any bigger and the throttle was too touchy?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.