J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is messed up... washed the engine at the car wash today, ran fine after that everything was good. half way home and my temperature light comes on. funny, cuz the gauge is staying right around half. i've never seen it go above 3/4 because thats where the fan kicks in. so there was no steam no nothing, and the temp light kept staring me back in the face, so i turn on the heater and had it blasting away, occasionally the light would go out but would shortly return. upon getting home, i could easily touch the top of the engine for 5 seconds at a time. and still no steam. so obviously the engine coolant temperature sensor is outta whack. i think i got it a little too wet at the car wash because i DID see a small fray in the wire where it could of shorted out. i'm letting it sit overnight and hopefully its not going to give me any trouble tomorrow. i don't feel like replacing my ect sensor OR my thermostat so im hoping it'll go away tomorrow. you guys think it'll be fine? i just got my temperature gauge working and im pretty sure it wouldn't lie. hopefully it was just a wet connector. i'm going to burp the cooling system tomorrow either way. since i'm posting anyways. how do you tell when a belt tensioner has hit its day? on my last car in the winter it would squeel horribly for at least 2 minutes and then it stopped. i knew the belt tensioner was at fault but i never replaced it. its been slowly getting colder around here lately +4C and i've noticed a squealing coming from the belt area. i'd like to rule out the alternator, well im pretty sure thats not the problem anyways. the water pump is fairly new so i know thats not going to be making any noise. im pretty sure its the belt tensioner. i'm getting a quote to see how much my mechanic wants to replace it. to be honest i don't feel like doing it. its kinda tight in there. another question! my brakes like to squeal, they are fairly new. some jerk mechanic said they only squeal because they are cheap pads, but since i've been using them for a few months im sure i've worn them down a bit. so i dont think its just because they are cheap. i've noticed at slow speeds if im doing a fairly sharp turn left the right brake likes to squeal. who's thinking that the pad just needs to be reinstalled? maybe it is installed at the wrong angle. if im braking from high speeds the steering wheel shakes, but that could be the steering linkages. plus i have dented rims anyways. i felt the rotor and it isn't scratched or anything like that. im FAIRLY sure it isn't warped, as i've had both wheels off and it seems and feels pretty level to me. i don't even know any more. theres so many things i'd like to change/fix on this car but there's so little time money and experience. hahah. any opinions or ideas are welcome. thanks guys. holy crap i wrote a lot. have fun reading this!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
wow, very hard to read a bitch of a long paragraph like that.

when you say temp light, exactly what do you mean? the last time i checked there was no light that came on when the engine overheated? are you talking about the low antifreeze light???

as far as the tensioner pulley, if its sqealing now, i would get it replaced, cuz you do not want that to go. serious damage can happen.

as far as your brake question, some brake pads will just squeal, some dont.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no it really was the temperature light, the coolant light hasn't come on in a while. some people refer to the temp light as the idiot light, because there is no warning to your car overheating, instead that light just comes on. do you think the brakes will ever STOP squealing? i'll probably replace them if they dont stop, its annoying. they usually do it at high speeds too, but if i turn the wheel to the right a bit, it stops. to the left and they keep doing it. at least thats what i hear anyways...

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
j_yewchin said:
no it really was the temperature light, the coolant light hasn't come on in a while. some people refer to the temp light as the idiot light, because there is no warning to your car overheating, instead that light just comes on. do you think the brakes will ever STOP squealing? i'll probably replace them if they dont stop, its annoying. they usually do it at high speeds too, but if i turn the wheel to the right a bit, it stops. to the left and they keep doing it. at least thats what i hear anyways...
that really depends on the pads, i know my dads car has a harder compound pad, so they tend to squeal a little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.