J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just did a search on removing the a/c compressor and it said that it only frees up about 1/2 HP?! is that right? i thought it would free up more, up in the area of 10hp. geeze that's not worth it. dammit.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
LMAO...

when not in use. the compressor free wheels. doesnt rob any HP to turn it, its basically like and idler pully when off.

the whole A/C system combined weighs in at 32 pounds. this was weighed by curtis walker. that includes all a/c lines, hoses, compressor, condensor, evaporator, and the 2 pounds of refrigerant.
not too much to gain by ditching it unless you dont live somewhere where it gets too hot.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I would keep my A/C even if it weighed 100 pounds. It broke 2 years ago in my old car, and after this scorching summer I won't go without it ever again! And yeah, like everyone else said, aside from the weight, it doesn't rob you of any power when off. Just try accelerating with the a/c on and with it off. You'll notice it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.