J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... this is what i realy want to do with a second gen...
i want that huge old ass sqaure dash in my car... from a Cav RS... then i want the Z24 phaze 1 grownd effects... and i want a 3.1L 5 speed...
now whats the dif in bettween the phaze 1 and 2... i read all those history things... they are realy not specific... can someone help plz?

·
Premium Member
17,284 Posts
There are many differences:

Engine (2.8 vursus 3.1) ECM, Headlights, cornerlights, tail lights, front and rear bumpers, door molding, hood latch, entire interior is different. The lack of ABS in pre 1992 models.

That us just a small list.

Brad

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
brinky said:
Ok... this is what i realy want to do with a second gen...
i want that huge old ass sqaure dash in my car... from a Cav RS... then i want the Z24 phaze 1 grownd effects... and i want a 3.1L 5 speed...
now whats the dif in bettween the phaze 1 and 2... i read all those history things... they are realy not specific... can someone help plz?
well people swap out phase II dashes in the phase I, i guess it can be done the other way. the ground Fx will work. the motor should work, tranny i am not sure if there was diffrent mounting locations for it or not?????

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
Body mouldings, front an rear and a good percentage of the interior. All differences between the phases are purely cosmetic.

The drivetrain is not specific to each phase, since the phase 1s did have the 3.1 and 2.2 in '90. ABS is not a factor since the '91 had no ABS.

Take a look in the registry at '90s and '91s, you'll see the difference.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i been recherarching... and i been to the junk yard to look around... all the dif cavis... etc etc... i think in the end ill get a celebrity or a caprice... for now... the z comes later on in my life...

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Here's the list I have notices so far

90 was the first year of the 3.1L
In 90 and in the phase 2s the seatbelts are mounted in the doors, so phase2 door pannels could only be swapped if you have a 90
The dashes cosmeticaly were changed
If you have a sunroof the latches were changed. A phase 1 has the nice silver handles but there bolted to the roof with 2 bolts. The phase 2's have black plastic handles and they are bolted to the roof with 3 bolts. Also the how high the latch lifts the sunroof is diffrent.
The bumpers and side moldings are diffrent.
The head lights are diffrent. Phast 2 head lights and turn signals are 1 unit and slanted, where as phase 1's are seperate.
The tail lights are diffrent
The front grills
Phase 2's also had the option of rear spoiler insted of the granny rack
In 92 phase 2's had the option of ABS brake as well as larger 10" front brakes.
Phase 2 Z24 rims went from 14" to 15".
In 90 to mark the change from the 2.8L to the 3.1L the center caps had the checker bored pattern removed.

thoughs are all the diffrences that I can think of off hand..

·
Registered
582 Posts
Brake and suspension changes in '92, which IMO, keeps 91-94 from being a true "phase".

Yes I realize it's easier to sort them buy appearance, but I'd have no purpose in life if I wasn't around to keep arguements going. ;)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah so thats cool... a 90 would be perfect! old dash 3.1 (stick if found) and z24 pahze 1 gfx....

btw... whats a realy boxed up chevy? (car that has every thing square... eg.. caprice... ) i need a car that looks realy mean...

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
quinker said:

In 90 and in the phase 2s the seatbelts are mounted in the doors, so phase2 door pannels could only be swapped if you have a 90
If you have a sunroof the latches were changed. A phase 1 has the nice silver handles but there bolted to the roof with 2 bolts. The phase 2's have black plastic handles and they are bolted to the roof with 3 bolts. Also the how high the latch lifts the sunroof is diffrent.
The head lights are diffrent. Phast 2 head lights and turn signals are 1 unit and slanted, where as phase 1's are seperate.
The front grills
In 90 to mark the change from the 2.8L to the 3.1L the center caps had the checker bored pattern removed.

in 90 there was only the 3.1, other then that, good job :D

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
speedemon said:
quinker said:

The front grills

in 90 there was only the 3.1, other then that, good job :D
hey hey I got it right... The 2.8 was dropped in favor of the 3.1L and they changed the hub caps as well to show the change..

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
But Quinker the '90 is still a phase1, phase2 started in '91. ;)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
90 is the turn over year thats why I mention some of the diffrences... 90 I would say is the odd ball out because it really only has the phase 1 skin to it.. everything else in that car was geared towards the switch for 91...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.