J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 263 Posts

· Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep... with summer incentives and rebates going on at the local Chevy Dealership, I have decided it is time to replace the aging Z24. :cry: Good news is, I should hopefully by next week be the proud owner of a 2007 cobalt ss supercharged coupe. :pimp: Anybody have any first hand experience with these cars? I sat in it, it seemed really nice. Are they worth buying though? Anyone know how they are, maintenance and reliability wise? My other car of choice is the 2007 Scion tC. It is a nice car, but the fact that it looks like a god damn bubble (not saying the cobalt isn't either, just is less of one :lol:) and the HUGE blind spot in the rear kind of turns me away from it. Plus I am a die hard chevy fan. I will take the tC for a test drive (probably tomorrow) and follow up on it. Based on looks alone and sitting in both of the cars, right now, I am leaning towards the SS s/c. :pimp:

· Registered
4,233 Posts
read like 2 threads down chris.

from what ive heard they are great cars.

· Registered
6,424 Posts
friend has one, if your short you get a blind spot out the rear view, even more so if you lower it. But thats with the huge spoiler which is no more.I like them.Tons of room in the from and the back.Great reliability too.

· Registered
4,296 Posts
ss/sc > tc

if it wasn't a sc cobalt it might be a different story.

make sure it has the lsd

G

·
The SS/SC is a great car but they do have problems, I have been hearing of clutches and stuff from over at Cobaltss.net but I am sure most of them are beating on them pretty often by the sounds of it. I do not think you would regret the decision. ALmost got one, had the paperwork but I wanted to save and not toss money out the door like I was doing w/ my Lincoln LS(the premium gas requirement, expensive repairs). The SS/SC requires premium, would of been more on insurance and the payment was not much better than the Lincoln so I got an LS, do not regret it, do not miss the power or rwd too much either when I see what my mpg is lol. And have the other cars help.

If you were to test drive them both, you'd quickly make your mind up :wink:

· Registered
6,424 Posts
snowblindburd said:
Get a Beretta! :p J/k, I usually eye up the cobalts when I go by the dealership. I dont want one but I like styling on the s/c ss's. Get the low profile spoiler tho! And they look amazing in red.
they come with that low spoiler stock now. no more big ones.

· Registered
1,366 Posts
I hopped on the pontiac and chevy websites one day and figured out a brand new pontiac G6 GT sedan 6 spd 3900 only costs $1k more than a new chevy Cobalt SS/SC

I'd rather have the G6, its bigger, more practical, 6 spd instead of a 5 spd, and even though it weighs more the extra 240 hp the 3900 has over the 205 hp from the 2.0 S/C eco will make up for that

the G6 is way more car for your money and it's a 660 :wink:

· Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went to the dealer today. Only one they had was a victory red one with chrome rims, etc (fully loaded) sitting on the showroom floor. Took that thing out for a test drive and DAMN. :pimp: Now I know it's brand new and all, but still. This car is amazing. It's fast, handles well, has a attractive looking interior, and seems to be built rather solid. No squeaks and rattles anywhere. (Of course it's new after all, but still.) Has power sunroof, XM radio, heated leather seats, Limited Slip... Everything.

I pick it up monday. :pimp:

· Registered
146 Posts
chris88z24 said:
(fully loaded) power sunroof, XM radio, heated leather seats, Limited Slip... Everything.

I pick it up monday. :pimp:
the way I look at it thats just more shit to break and HAVE to go to dealershit to fix. Too much stuff that can go wrong, one thing messes up 10 others go ape shit and it'll cost ya 5k to frickin fix it. Friend of mine got a ss/sc about 8 months ago, hes already shit canned it and got another car.

I'd rather spend 1k to get me another z24, sink 15K into it and have a car thats still 5k cheaper than the ss and will run circles around it.(and just about any other car too)

But I wish ya best of luck with it. Show off some pics when ya get it.

· Premium Member
11,761 Posts
I've had mine for a year now, no problems what so ever and it just rolled over 13000 miles...And I dont always baby it.

Best time at the track was a 14.3...and thats stock. Definatly look into doing the airbox mod, it makes the Supercharger LOUD! I love my Cobalt

G

·
I love how people say, I'd take 1k, and through the remainder that you would pay for said car and be done. Ok, do you really have that kind of cash on hand? No! So that is not going to happen and if you could toss 15K into a car that cost 1k, why the hell did you purchase a 1k car to begin with let alone a cavalier :roll: . Not many people take loans out for mods, mind aswell get a brand new car w/ that loan than a shit box. Oh and if things do go wrong, dee dee dee, warranty!

· Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
beamer said:
I love how people say, I'd take 1k, and through the remainder that you would pay for said car and be done. Ok, do you really have that kind of cash on hand? No! So that is not going to happen and if you could toss 15K into a car that cost 1k, why the hell did you purchase a 1k car to begin with let alone a cavalier :roll: . Not many people take loans out for mods, mind aswell get a brand new car w/ that loan than a shit box. Oh and if things do go wrong, dee dee dee, warranty!
:pimp:

We just need to realize our 2nd gen Z24's are not the best cars on the planet. Once we can get out of that phase and accept it, you realize that there are MUCH better cars out there than the 2nd gen Z24. It took me almost 2 years to get over that, and I am sure as hell glad that I did. One drive in that SS and you will think twice about dropping 15k into a 1k dollar car. :D :wink:

· Premium Member
25,627 Posts
chris88z24 said:
beamer said:
:pimp:

We just need to realize our 2nd gen Z24's are not the best cars on the planet. Once we can get out of that phase and accept it, you realize that there are MUCH better cars out there than the 2nd gen Z24. It took me almost 2 years to get over that, and I am sure as hell glad that I did. One drive in that SS and you will think twice about dropping 15k into a 1k dollar car. :D :wink:
Some of us allready know that.. but we choose to drop cash in our 2nd gens anyways :lol:

good luck with the cobalt! :)

1 - 20 of 263 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.