J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
241 - 260 of 263 Posts

· Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
transfocus said:
yeah i didn't notice the crack, /me blames the alcohol

well you should have a powertrain warranty that should cover shit like that. how many miles are on it now, you haven't had it that long...
28k... problem is there is a TSB that states if the tranny case is cracked, it should not be covered under warranty since it is considered abuse :roll: Now I am not stupid enough to wheel hop the car and stay WOT through the hop, if it bumps at ALL I let off. Also if it cracks from abuse, it leaks onto the clutch causing slip... again, something thats not the case here.

Manufacturer defect?

· Registered
1,964 Posts
i'd tell them to fix it, and then if the refuse tell them you'll get a lawyer... Im sure that if it was to go to court they woul dhave to prove that youve abused it.

· Registered
1,366 Posts
abuse being in the warranty,? wow that sucks. the trans should be made to take more power than that even when pounded on, unless its the clutch or gears. best bet is to replace the trans but you could always try and put a good bead over it and hope that holds. as long as it doesn't spread all it really means is that you'll drip fluid here and there. just keep it topped off, it's a manual so the fluid isn't under pressure

· Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
I'll be straight up with you I do not "abuse" my vehicles. Sure I get on the gas every now and then, but who doesn't? Even at the track, I don't drop the clutch when I launch. I don't wheel hop it ever, unless it's on accident (give it too much throttle in the rain, for instance). If they don't cover it under warranty I am going to probably get rid of the vehicle and switch to something non-GM. As much as I hate to say that, I refuse to drive a vehicle if the manufacturer can't back their product. ESPECIALLY if it's under warranty. :guns:

· Registered
1,964 Posts
they gave my buddy a hard time over his, he has the same as yours, model year everything... but his axles messed up on his... they tossed him a around a while, but they ended up replaceing his. He also had to have the head replaced and they tryed to say that he had hand polished the head, and it was a piece of the inside of the head that broke off and damaged the valve.

needless to say that he sold the car and bout a srt4 so idk i guess its a fair tradeoff since his srt4 hasent givien him any problems...

his problems happend at around 24000 miles.

· Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Well to bring some brightness to this dark thread, here is what she looks like with the polished rims back on:

I am painting my winter rims gunmetal metallic... I wasn't really a fan of the black, I like flashy wheels on red cars. Should be done tomorrow, just gotta clear them in a little bit and let them dry overnight.

· Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Nice. Makes me miss summer even more now. :lol: And damn my car looks fugly without tint!

That mall also has a baller movie theatre now... they remodeled the whole place. It's rare to find that parking lot empty like that on the weekends now.

· Registered
11,295 Posts
chris88z24 said:
Phew! Sprayed the "crack" down with brakleen while I was putting my winter rims back on, and it was just a casting flash. I looked closer and its 100% the axle seal.

Warranty time!!
good :)

I couldnt quite see this crack in those pics anyway but I didnt feel like saying anything :lol:

· Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
Got her all fixed up this morning. the new dealer I tried out is fucking awesome. I brought it in at 830, had my mom drop me off at home... they called me at 11 and said it was done :eek: Replaced the axle seal and also replaced my steering intermediate shaft because I bitched that it would clunk when the wheel was turned when at a standstill. All repaired under warranty and they didn't say anything about being modded. Sweet!
:pimp: This was De Paula Chevrolet in Albany, in case any local members are reading this.

· Registered
3,890 Posts
What all do you have done to your Balt as of now? I'm running my 09 SS/TC and am loving it. I have a little over 7K with my car for miles right now, so when I hit about the same mileage on mine I will see if my half-shafts do the same thing yours is doing. I hope it doesn't. Did you look into getting the torque dampener for your car that really helps you eliminate most if not all of your wheel hop? I know the SC's are REALLY bad about the wheel hop (which they fixed in the TC models). But your car looks great man!

· Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
lvcmstckz24 said:
What all do you have done to your Balt as of now? I'm running my 09 SS/TC and am loving it. I have a little over 7K with my car for miles right now, so when I hit about the same mileage on mine I will see if my half-shafts do the same thing yours is doing. I hope it doesn't. Did you look into getting the torque dampener for your car that really helps you eliminate most if not all of your wheel hop? I know the SC's are REALLY bad about the wheel hop (which they fixed in the TC models). But your car looks great man!
Thanks.

The torque damper was like the second mod I did to the car after I bought it. :lol:

I just put my summer wheels back on, and ordered 4 new 225-40-18 General Exclaim UHP's for them.

Also debadged the whole car, the only emblems on it are the front bowtie, the SS on the two doors, and the "slobalt" badge on the trunk.
:lol:

· Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
I still daily drive this car. Instead of having a $300/mo car payment, I decided to spend $1500 and had the dealer swap the factory clutch with the GM Performance Parts LSJ Upgraded Clutch Kit. I also had them install a new flywheel and bolts, change the trans axle seals, and do the control arm bushings at the same time. We also changed the clutch master cylinder and clutch pipe along with the LNF slave that came with the kit. I thought the price was very fair, and it's covered for a year/12,000 miles in case something goes wrong. I actually had an issue the day after the swap where the car lost pedal pressure, and the dealer made good by towing it back and fixing it for free. Turns out that the factory clutch master was leaking from the increased pressure needed to move the stiffer pressure plate. They also gave me a free loaner car during the entire time. I think they did well.

In my opinion this upgraded clutch from GM should be the FIRST mod anyone does to the s/c SS. It's awesome and the price cannot be beat. The old disc and flywheel still looked new, even after all of the thrashing it went through. :lol:

:pimp:

241 - 260 of 263 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.