J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new to this place so it be cool if you all would be my friends. I have 4 Z24's 2 hardtops, 1 sunroof, and 1 Convertible. Anyway this is racing experiences so i will tell ya about my very first car which i still own. It is a 1990 Cavalier Z24. but i have done some slight engine modification. First i use to get like 26 MPG. Then i boared the Heads to 4.10" and installed shorter piston rods with a larger cam shaft. It was totally amazing! I only got 13MPG though. Me and my Buddie Kevin took it down to the strip against his 4.6 Thinderbird. I SPANKED him at [email protected] MPH. I loved my car. But then i was racing against my friend Eric. He was pushing a 3.8 Thunderbird Super-coupe and while taking a turn I hit a pothole and rolled it off the street. I was ramming about 70MPH. Anyway i rolled it 4 times into the woods. It was completely destroyed. That was about a year ago. I finally got the body back into good shape but the engine was cracked. I took it out and put another stock 3.1 in it. Question though I am looking to replace the motor again but i don't want to bore it again. Id like to keep my gas mileage. Anyone have any suggestions on a new motor? I would prefer a Supercharger. Thanks maybe my Experience will help some drive a little more carefully :nono: :lol:

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
jonathan said:
No offense buddy, but thats got to be the biggest B.S. story i've ever heard, a 10 sec cavy? with just motor work?! NO WAY!
lol and i tried to be nice and not call BS and let him explain himself, oh well, THATS A LOAD OF BS no way that your cars that fast with it bored over, cam and shorter rods, even with a huge turbo i don't think u would run 10s even then, especially if u are running a street legal car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends on how your motor is modified. Personally i dont like turbine boost its just a mega air intake. Since i bored the head i could run larger pistons which equals more horsepower and a faster responce. the shorter rods also give you more horsepower because it reduces the disdance the piston has to rotate around the camshaft. It just takes away your gas mileage. For example i could put a steel spacer inbetween the head and the cylinder block with larger rods and gain more ponys and miles becuase of the extra inch it has to turn.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Apparently people think we are very stupid :-? How do you bore a head? And even if you were talking about the block, how do you achieve a 4.1" bore, when it is 3.5" stock? A .600" over bore?!? I mean come on, we are not that stupid. 10 sec would require about 500 + HP, and you can get that from making the rods shorter, and a bore that is physically impossible?

And, what is the " I hope you can all be my friend" thing :lol:

I know what this is man, you are trying to stir shit up, plain and simple. I mean no one is THAT stupid..... Are they?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
cranimesao said:
Since i bored the head i could run larger pistons which equals more horsepower and a faster responce.
Bored the head???????

cranimesao said:
the shorter rods also give you more horsepower because it reduces the distance the piston has to rotate around the camshaft. It just takes away your gas mileage. For example i could put a steel spacer inbetween the head and the cylinder block with larger rods and gain more ponys and miles because of the extra inch it has to turn.
It is the crank shaft that ultimately determines how far the piston travels. If you mad the rod shorter, you would have to have a different piston pin hight, you would be right back where you started :-?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
cranimesao said:
cranimesao said:
terrible gonna knock on a 6 cylinder. Hell man ive seen a supra run a 9. a dodge neon burn a viper and a caravan smoke a z28. Depends on what you can do.
just ta let ya know the supra was a 4 cylinder
Just to let you know the supra is an inline 6

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
cranimesao said:
Depends on how your motor is modified. Personally i dont like turbine boost its just a mega air intake. Since i bored the head i could run larger pistons which equals more horsepower and a faster responce. the shorter rods also give you more horsepower because it reduces the disdance the piston has to rotate around the camshaft. It just takes away your gas mileage. For example i could put a steel spacer inbetween the head and the cylinder block with larger rods and gain more ponys and miles becuase of the extra inch it has to turn.
lol u bored out the head so u could fit larger pistons, im not tryin to flame but u make it seem like u know lots about engines but u don't, im not sayin i know lots but i do know about them and the proper terms and such and i can rebuild an engine, so any way u bored the block out to fit larger pistons not the head, im done for now, but 10 secs for a cav, your BSing until i see time slips, not just the numbers u write on the internet, i know a guy who runs 10.26 with a 327 bored .060 over and runs C14 or 12 or somthin 140 octane race gas, and your telling me your little 3.1 runs the same BS :guns: :guns: :guns:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
seanski said:
cranimesao said:
lol u bored out the head so u could fit larger pistons, im not tryin to flame but u make it seem like u know lots about engines but u don't, im not sayin i know lots but i do know about them and the proper terms and such and i can rebuild an engine, so any way u bored the block out to fit larger pistons not the head, im done for now, but 10 secs for a cav, your BSing until i see time slips, not just the numbers u write on the internet, i know a guy who runs 10.26 with a 327 bored .060 over and runs C14 or 12 or somthin 140 octane race gas, and your telling me your little 3.1 runs the same BS :guns: :guns: :guns:
Now its a 4.3L :lol:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
seanski said:
nemesis25 said:
whats a 4.3 now, he never said anything about boring his over i don't think, the guy i know with the 327 in a malibu wagon bored it .060 over sorry bout the confusion
He said he put 4.10" piston is his 3.1L. A 4.1" bore + 3.3"stroke = 4.3L

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
nemesis25 said:
seanski said:
nemesis25 said:
whats a 4.3 now, he never said anything about boring his over i don't think, the guy i know with the 327 in a malibu wagon bored it .060 over sorry bout the confusion
OHHHH ok then the way i read it, he said he bored the head to 4.10 and i was like wtf, even then a 4.3 can't run 10s anyway

·
Registered
918 Posts
A supra has a 4 cylinder motor? :lol: What planet did you fall off of? They come factory with a inline 6. How far was the "head" bored out? :lol: .400? :lol: quit bullshiting, you ain't gota lie to make friends! If you put shorter rods in the motor, then why would you put a "spacer" in between the cylinder block, and head to make the piston travel farther, put 2, and 2 together, and your story doesn't add up! :lol: Thanks for the laugh though.....you made my day!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
seanski said:
nemesis25 said:
seanski said:
nemesis25 said:
OHHHH ok then the way i read it, he said he bored the head to 4.10 and i was like wtf, even then a 4.3 can't run 10s anyway
Well, not without RWD and the biggest turbocharger on the market :lol:

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
jonathan said:
A supra has a 4 cylinder motor? :lol: What planet did you fall off of? They come factory with a inline 6. How far was the "head" bored out? :lol: .400? :lol: quit bullshiting, you ain't gota lie to make friends! If you put shorter rods in the motor, then why would you put a "spacer" in between the cylinder block, and head to make the piston travel farther, put 2, and 2 together, and your story doesn't add up! :lol: Thanks for the laugh though.....you made my day!
Supra, where did that come from, i don't remember reading about a supra, oh well, lol hes only put one reply in, guess hes tryin to think of a comeback, oh well. LOL we really whored this thread up good, keep up the good work :pimp:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.