J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok... I get what I get for having hub caps. I intend to buy wheels sometime, but money won't allow it for a while. In the meantime I have to settle for hubs. Mine were stolen tonight while I was grocery shopping . I'll have to buy some new ones tomorrow, because I refuse to roll with just black wheels. Any ideas on how I might rig them up to either keep them from being stolen or to backfire on the little bastards that try to take 'em?

·
Registered
129 Posts
some types of hubcaps have locks on them.
i know my 1980 rivera had them. and its impossible
to get them off with out a key (i know i tryed cause i lost the key and i was wrecking the car)
anyhow hope that helps

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey I know what you mean. I had one of my new hubs stolen. But originally I had the cavalier hubs on. If you go to the junk yard or somewhere you could find them probably. These have a lock built into them so to speak. To get these off you have to loosen three of the lug nuts because the hubs have a lip behind three of the nuts. So when you tighten your lug nuts down they bite into the plastic and make it impossible to remove with breaking them. I don't know whether any aftermarket companies make these but I would hope so. It's a simple and smart way to put hub caps on.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I couldn't find any locking caps right away, but I'll keep my eyes open. I decided to get some of those heavy-duty, industrial zip ties, which I used to securely fasten my new hubs to the wheels (they're also neatly hidden behind the hub spokes so you can't see them). Nobody's getting those things off unless they come prepared with some good snippers. I might have to work a little bit to change a tire, but it's better than having to shell out more $$$ that could be going to a set of wheels! Thanx for your input, though.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hire a little kid with a can of mace to stand by your car every time you leave it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
the zip ties were a good idea, if they get stolen again tho, try spring loaded traps, they might get away with a couple hubs, but a high price

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hehe... I thought about that, too. I also tried to think of a way to put in exploding dye packs (or just explosives ), but with all the construction going on between home and work, it would probably just backfire. I did find a place that sold a type of locking system that consisted of essentially long bolts which secured the hubs to the backside of the wheel, but they seemed like they would be noticeably visible. Let me know if you have any more ideas, though
BTW, Moon... could you check my login info. I have to go to the "Edit Preferences" or "Edit Profile" in order to log in. It rejects me if I try it from the forums. thanx!

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
That is because you never verified your account. There were instructions provided for doing so in the email sent to you when you registered. Since you probably don't have this email anymore, I manually verified it for you. You should be able to login regularly now...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts