J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
160, 180, or 195*. Which ones the best. I was told the 195 is what the computer was programmed on. I personally like the 160 and 180 better. Which ones the best?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
i asked the question once. with out having a performance chip in the car there is not benefit to having any other thermostat other then the stock one. A I have heard that will can also cause unnecessary engine ware.

·
Premium Member
17,284 Posts
Without having a chip that tunes your car to run cooler, there is little benefit from a lower temp thermostat. Although with you in Arizona, if your car runs on the warm side of normal anyways, I would throw in a 180 degree thermostat.

About the comment about a lower temperature thermostat...... I have heard that prolonged use of a low temperature thermostat could accelerate wear on the engine. (kinda like how beating on the engine when it hasn't warmed up isn't a very good idea.)

I had a 160 degree thermostat in my 1991 Z24 for about 20,000 miles and a little over a year when it was totaled. When I disassembled the engine, I didn't see any abnormal wear on any of the bearings or the cylinder walls. Granted, I only had it in for 20,000 of the 90,000 miles that are on that engine, but that is my personal experience.

Brad

·
Premium Member
7,448 Posts
the lower the temp, the colder your engine runs, but also remember this, your heater will be colder because of the thermostat...

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Where exactly do you get 160 and 180 degree thermostats? The only ones I can find are at the parts store and they don't say what they are or what they are for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.