Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I talked to the local performance shop here and he said that putting a 160 degree thermostat in my car may alter the way the car behaves. Something to do with the main temp operating range. So all you guys out there that have a Hypertech thermo, does everything work alright and does the engine act up do to overcooling situations?
Joe

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Yes, it CAN alter some things, such as fuel economy (but it more than likely wont). I don't think that 160 is low enough to cause a problem, but if the computer never sees the car get up to its normal operating temperature, it may be dumping in extra fuel because the engine is still warming up, and it needs more fuel when its cold. I don't know what the magical temperature is that the computer needs to see for the car to be completely warmed up, but i am sure it is way below 160. I have heard of others using the 160 thermo with no problems. If you live in a cold climate, your heater isn't gona be too warm though!

If you are installing a custom chip, the 160 thermo is a must, if the chip is programmed for it, because otherwise the fan would be constantly on since the engine would be way hotter than the chip was programmed for and it would be constantly trying to cool it down to 160, which would be impossible witha 180+ thermo.

So anyway, to make a long story short, go with the 160 thermo, it should benifit a stock engine without causing any problems

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.