J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh. Disaster. After getting around to it, the hose would NOT stop kinking, so when I started it up and held it at around 3000rpm to get it up to street heat, the kink started squirting out the end of the tubing. What can I do to NOT get it to kink? It's kind of an odd angle to be working with, especially when I can't remove where the old pieces used to go through the TB (two torx screws are stripped) so I have less clearance. What the hell can I do to stop this kinking? I'd hate to run it back through the TB after this. I have Ozzfest to go to in two days, I want to be able to get there.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Hmmm...
It is kinking even with the angled hose?
I know the coolant lines are tough, but you may need to try and bend the end of one of them slightly. I know it is a tight area to work in. If you need more room, you may want to remove the throttlebody completely. Good luck man. I don't know why it would be kinking...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After many cuts, burns, and about a gallon of antifreeze, I have everything working.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I performed the TB bypass last weekend. I found out that the hose listed to buy is the same as the hose that comes off the TB. So instead of buying the hose I just removed the it from the TB and connected it to the coolant line. Now, I think this is only correct for a 3.1 that has a coolant line that does not continue past the throttle body. If you notice, in the pictures moon has posted the black metal coolant line continues past the TB and goes down. On my 91 Z24 it does not, it simply ends and goes into the TB by way of the rubber hose and then back out of the TB. So this is maybe why I could use the same hose and didn't have to buy one.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're the same systems, the pictures might have thrown you a little bit though. I would have had to buy a hose anyways, since I had to mangle mine to get it off. I'm starting to hate the previous owner, but it's getting to be much better. Heh, I think they owned stock in electrical tape.

There are two hoses for the TB heater - one in, which is the higher, angled pipe to the left TB hole; one out, which is the lower, straight up pipe that the right TB hole feeds into. If it merely ended as you say, the coolant wouldn't flow, and I know EXACTLY how that ends up. I had to Gunk and hose the right side of my engine bay to clean off all the coolant.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Antipode - glad you got it all working.

Z24user - The two stock hoses that came off my TB were straight. I had to buy the hose with the 90 deg bend to get it hooked back together without kinking. Your saying that on your car, one of the hoses that was on there already had a bend in it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, that is what I am saying. I even checked with a GM dealership and they told me the part # for the "out" hose and it was the same as the one posted on your site. The only reason I can see any reason this is like this is because my coolant line looks different compared to yours. Like I said earlier, your coolant line seems to break off and connect to the TB but it also continues on, mine does not. My coolant line has a slight bend in it and connects straight into the TB by way of a hose, then another hose connects the "out" from the TB to the lower coolant line. I have noticed that some 3.1's have a larger diameter coolant (like yours Moon) line and it continues past the TB while others have a smaller diameter coolant line that connects and stops at the TB. Maybe this is the difference.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Strange. Thanks for making me aware of this. I may need to add a note in the how-to. Do you have, or could you take a picture or two of your the setup on your car?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.