J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to bypass my throttle body, would it have trouble in the winter? being to cold or what not?
I live in Canada so I don't exactly want the cold weather to cause problems with the TB

thanks in advance

·
Registered
827 Posts
last winter was brutal... A lot of snow. This winter seems so wierd. It's been very warm lately.. Today being 16C was ridiculous...

http://www.jbodyperformance.com/car1.jpg</URL>">
1989 3.2L Z24

[ This Message was edited by: dallion on 2001-12-03 21:47 ]

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Yeah, i hope this winter stays like it is! I could live with days like today all winter long. 50 deg F and no snow is fine with me

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dallion : do you have this mod? Heater Bypass? cause i know you live close by - TO right? anyays if your car can handle the winter i know mine will too,

thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i live in Grande Prairie, AB, CANADA. is like -40 deg C in here. and my car run fine in winter with the heater bypass mod.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
damn what an old message (dec 2001) .. ha, i never did the bypass, too lazy, and i hate cold weather, wouldnt do any work to the car unless i was stranded otherwose, I HATE COLD WEATHER

have i mentioned that?

·
Premium Member
7,448 Posts
hehe, i dont mind it that much, when i replaced my plugs and wires that one night, it was a blizzard outside, luckily i grabbed a couple of heaters and took it to the garage, hehe

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hahaha too bad suckah!
till i can find a better angle it's staying liek that..

... maybe i have your car?!?

wait i just checked yours is red, mines burgandy :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was thinking of something myself, and in actuality, isn't there no flow through the coolent system until the thermostat opens up?? Maybe there is though and this is more of a question then a statement. If that's the case, then wouldn't that mean that there isn't too much of a point of that dumb heater thing anyways?? Well, if I think about it I get hot air from my vents before the thermostat opens up SO... maybe the thermo just keeps it from goin to the radiator. Somethin like that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
why do people bypass the TB heater? I'm wondering because i am about fix the O-ring problem, and wondering what it does and why people bypass it? Let me know :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
honestly, it doesn't do much Kris, I just did it. I dont really feel any performance gains.... However, it does focus a tad bit more coolant directly in the engine so the car might run a few degrees cooler, also the upper intake (plenum) should feel cooler than it did before since that hot coolant isn't running through the TB and warming that area which in turn can increase the temp. of the incoming air. I bypassed mine. It just makes removing the TB all the easier. While you're at it go get some throttle plate cleaner and clean your TB out till it's nice n' shiny. :D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
zeke24 said:
honestly, it doesn't do much Kris, I just did it. I dont really feel any performance gains.... However, it does focus a tad bit more coolant directly in the engine so the car might run a few degrees cooler, also the upper intake (plenum) should feel cooler than it did before since that hot coolant isn't running through the TB and warming that area which in turn can increase the temp. of the incoming air. I bypassed mine. It just makes removing the TB all the easier. While you're at it go get some throttle plate cleaner and clean your TB out till it's nice n' shiny. :D
I'm planning to do it to my car this sat,... i have noticed when the car is cool - lots of power,.... but when warm, it loses power. The cai helped a little but i need to do the tb bypass, and i think changing to a lower temp thermostat will help more,....

I think the overall object for our stock engines is cooler operating temps to maximize the stock hp/trq
I'll keep you guys informed

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm planning to do it to my car this sat,... i have noticed when the car is cool - lots of power,.... but when warm, it loses power. The cai helped a little but i need to do the tb bypass, and i think changing to a lower temp thermostat will help more,....

I think the overall object for our stock engines is cooler operating temps to maximize the stock hp/trq
I'll keep you guys informed[/quote]

I agree with you 100%, but I did it, and that plenum isn't as cool as you might want to think it's gonna be..... but yea, i think the better mod to do is the cooling fan override switch, that would help you alot more in terms of keeping it cool. My motor runs best around that first temp. line mark just to the right of the 100 line.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i did this mod when i had my z24, i dont know if there was a difference or not cause i did a bunch of mods at the same time.but the cooler the better i guess.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i think since there is no hot collant going thruoght the throttle body the air that is sucked in stayes colder long er and it like a cold air in take atlast thats my geusss but dont hold me to that

1 - 20 of 23 Posts