J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few days ago my coolant light flashed on, went off, and then came back on, i was almost to my buddy's house so i parked it there. The car was leaking all the coolant out somewhere below the alternator. i had it towed to a shop to get looked at figuring it was the water pump, i heard back form them today, and they said it was the gasket on the timing case cover, and was gonna cost me around $550.

i don't know a whole lot about cars, but why is coolant coming out of my timing case?

its a 94 z24 with 110xxx miles.

this would be the 2nd coolant gasket to go, and i dont really have the cash to fix it or get a new car, it looks like my only option is to charge the repair on my credit card.

any input would help

thanks in advance

~Jayson

·
Registered
931 Posts
At least on my 3100, the water pump housing IS the timing cover. Water is pumped through the cover through 2 holes in the block then goes through that to the heads and to the thermostat, heatercore, radiator, and back to the water pump.

Mine was leaking but not THAT severe. I also am replacing the timing chain cause it has lots of slack at 200,000m.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.