J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes, well, i have a few spare sets of ph1 tails...... and no cavalier...... so i thought i'd make some "different" tails...... unfortunately i only have outters, so there'll be no inners :(

Here is the work under way..... the tint is NOT sprayed on and it's not window tint, it's actually bought this way..... these ones will be in an "altezza" style and depending on how these ones sell (yep i'll have 'em for sale soon enough) i may make a few more sets...... or just do clears with this tinted lense....... whatcha think?

Keep in mind these are still under construction ;)

The last pics has a mag light behind it with near dead batteries...... so....

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
See now those are what I was talking about months ago :D Spanky ya do man... I tell ya what. Find someway to make the inner part (where the bulbs go Black and then figure out how to use really Bright ass LED lights instead of the stock one and I'm your first customer. It'll be like having tailight covers with out the covers :D

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
soup said:
spanky said:
:-? :-?

:lol: :lol:

joking man, looks good, too bad i dont have the cavy any more
bastard.. i'm a Canadian, spelling isn't my forteh, eh?! :lol: :)

Jake- I'm pretty sure you can buy replacement LED's to use in place of the stock bulbs, could be wrong tho....... If you can figure out how to wire up the LED's, then i can throw together a set for ya' ;)

Also, incase anyone is wondering....... the replacement lense is seemless, no gaps anywhere's...... just like the stock ones ;)

I'm also looking into throwing this "grey" plexi (it's not grey in the least) into some clear corners.........

And i'm pretty sure you can buy this plexin in colours..... blue, red, yellow, etc., etc...... but i have to confirm that ;)

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
mrjackson2000 said:
i can help ya out on the LED wiring, just need the specs of the LED's you plan to use
I have no idea yet when it comes to LED's I've never looked into them yet. But my goal would be the new cadillac style led's Can't see them till their used and then bright as hell :D

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Jake those tails on the caddy's kick ass. It's like sitting really close to your computer with the screen off and then all of a sudden turning it on, almost blinding. Depending on price and availability of phase II inners, I'm in.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'll probably just throw these 2 sets on Ebay and be done with it...... i don't think it's something i'll make too many of :)

And they'll be left in Primer, so you can paint the outsides to match your car if you wish to........

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Umm.... if people are still watching this topic, try searching ebay for the LEDs you need... Somebody actually makes them now, I just ordered me a set for amber signals in the front and for Tails in the back, i will let you know how they turn out if they work or not... But anyways, the # actually matches the # our car uses.... I searched 3157, cuz normally the only LEDs made are 2157, but not anymore!!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
There's a difference between creating some LED tail lights and using cheap LED bulbs. Those things on ebay are just little bulbs with LEDs instead of a filament, and if I may be so blunt, they're shit. I used to use those, and they're pretty useless. They're hardly visible at all since the light comes out of such a small spot due to the nature of LEDs being so directional for their light output. I too thought about doing something like the caddy tails on my car, but somehow taking those tails apart and use their 'guts' on mine. That plan never happened, so I did the next best thing. I bought a set of LED truck lights (everybody's seen these...just get on a highway and go find an 18 wheeler). These are the long oval shaped ones. I stripped the lights down to the circuit boards and took my tails apart and mounted them inside, then just wired em up. At night its a really kickass effect. I wish my camera's video mode wasn't so damn choppy cuz then I could get a decent clip of my lights in action.

**UPDATE** I managed to snag my dad's camcorder to get a good clip. follow the link to it: http://members.rogers.com/aamaralc543/brakesignal.asf

·
Registered
192 Posts
Those look Sweet! You should really make some more of 'em and sell a few pairs! Maybe make the inners too?! :lol: And ncc2000 i love the way your taillights light up! What did you use in them?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
They're just the regular type of LED replacement tails for 18wheelers. I bought all of mine on ebay, but they can be bought from online shops if you search around. If you use one large lens like the tinted one spanky's making you can probably fit the 4" round LED lights (these are more common than the ovals) instead of the oval lights I used. I had to use ovals because there's no way a 4" round light would fit in the Sunbird tails, plus I needed some for the signals so the ovals made things real easy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.