J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive heard alot of people asking how to get rid of all that rattle in the back of there car and im posting this to help you fix it. Maybe moon can put this in the how-to's or the Audio so its easy to find and ill take pics later in the year when its bloody warmer outside.

Materials: Outdoor Foam(stuff that wont rot away) or thin rubber(get the rubber it saves on headaches), masking tape or a crayon, Doublesided tape if possible (makes job so much easier), a drill, sheet metal screws.

Step 1
Find out where your rattling is coming from (specific locations at the tail light) use a crayon or tape to mark the places.

Step 2
Take the rear tail light piece off (its got sort of yellowish white plastic wing nuts on the trunk hood)

Step 3
in the places its rattling put the foam or rubber using the double sided sticky tape or just tape, stick a piece of rubber in place (make sure ur not putting huge pieces of rubber down try to keep it less than 2 inches for the patches because if water gets in behind it might have a hard time getting out if u put big chunks and that might cause water damage or even worse yet RUST!) also put some rubber around the back of the plastic where the liecence plate sits.

Step 4
Put the tail light piece back on making sure u tighten it down till its snug.

Step 5
the liecence plate is one of the worst rattlers. mark the holes at the bottom of the liecence plate(GM forgot to put holes and screws in for it) and check the inside of the trunk so u dont hit any wires while drilling those holes. take off the liecence plate

Step 6
drill a hole on each side of the liecence plate.
and drill all the way threw until u clear a piece of metal.

Step 7
put 4 pieces of rubber at the four sides where the liecence plate sits and tape it to there. and put back the liecence plate

Step 8
Put original screws in the top two holes and
put sheet metal screws in the new holes and tighten until tight.

There you are now rattle free from the taillights.
boom as loud as u want. and if ur spoiler or rack gives u any sort of rattle tighten it down (it already has rubber on it (or it should)). u might notice rattles all over ur car now that the worst rattle is gone. ill make another entry later when i have a digi cam to show u what to do in most cases but other then that try tighening down or putting rubber or foam in places it rattles (even insolating some spots will get rid of rattles and will also keep heat in the car better. If any Q's please feel free to leave a post here or email me i got tons of books on this stuff and usually i can answer them pretty good.

hope this helps!
-Frostbyte
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
I can add this to the how-to section....when I get time
If you get some pics, send em to me and I will put them up with the how-to

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heh like i said. when it gets warmer heheh.. god damn i built a snowman outside yesterday and its rock solid ice now.. hehe too cold for me to take car apart and put back together.. hell i wont even do my ever so needed oil change in this weather. hehe

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey Frostbyte

That's a good idea, i had already done that but i don't know how to get my whole trnk lid to stop rattling like i have a hostage in there trying to get out it's bad and i've evn tightened the latch i don't think there is much i can do so if you don't know it's cool 8)

·
Registered
13 Posts
i'v got a couple of suggestions, for the person with time and money rockford fosgate makes a spray on material similiar to primer which will help the trunk rattling out ALOT but then you have to prep your trunk for it by wet sanding and do all the work repainting it blah blah blah but the stuff works. also you (or any car audio shop) can line your trunk with dynomat which makes kits specifically for trunks and they also make door kits and hood kits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts