J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how in the world do i change this thing? it was only 8 bucks but..?

do i have to remove the bellhousing? if so.. i may just try to use my other trans since i dont really want to do that

its sat for about 2 years in the garage with no fluids. guy i got it from said it has around 120,000k on it.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
IIRC..

There's a flange & tube assembly that slides over the input shaft. 3 or 4 bolts takes that off.

Then you pop out the old seal, and insert the new. I used a piece of PVC pipe the same size as the seal to tap it in.

- Frank

·
Registered
304 Posts
I know this doesn't answer your question but where did you pick up that seal? Mine is leaking like crazy. I had the tranny apart but there is no way that i saw on the inside. Unless the seal is very flexible. :p

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
I know I did NOT split the case.

I really remember three bolts and that sleeve coming off. It's been a while, but I didn't think my memory was getting that bad.

I'll be out in the garage later today. I'll grab the shop manual and try to refresh my memory a bit.

- Frank

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i picked it up at crappy tire, 8 bucks. they only had one.

not even the dealer had one. woodstock was the closest that had one.

and i attempted to split the case and only got it about 3/4" of an inch open. after i saw gearing coming out with the bell housing i gave it a quick oh shit and slapped it back together, haha

so unfortunately i put it back with out replacing that seal. i really needed to get my car rolling. i did fill up with lucas trans fix and some 20-50 oil. hopefully it will be too thick to leak much.

i'll be picking up a winter beater so if need be, it wont be a big deal to rip out the tranny again having another car.

i do notice my shifts feel firmer with the thicker oil.

and my starter is working fine now. and that clutch feels pretty good. do ceramic's need time to break in? i havent beat on it yet

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well from what it looks like from your picture and my transmission is that that sleeve over the shaft is pressed into the bellhousing. I split my case and there are no bolts on either side. Maybe mine is different. I took the spring out of the seal and shortened it in hopes that it would tighten the seal however my tranny still leaks like a tap. I hope you have better luck then me. Keep me updated though...as I'd love to know how you get it done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.