J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if a 1991 4cyl manual trans will fit into a 1991 z24? my z24 is auto,a nd i came across a great deal on a stick 4cyl trans, just curious if it will fit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, i no, but i got almost eveyrthing i need for the swap for $100 including the trans, so i figure ill do the swap with this trans until it goie, the actually spend money on a good trans. im a broke college student and trying to do this as cheap as possible, but still the right way.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
save up and do it right man.. i was a broke college student and have made nearly the same mistake 3 times now with another car.. 4 years out of college now and i still have a half-assed trans am on the side of my house :lol:

just my .02c :)

It will work but you'll need to find all the V6 5 speed motor mounts, your auto ones won't work and i doubt the 2.2 ones will be even close.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx alot man, i think im just gana use all the accesories it came with, adn go buy just the trans from a z, cuz i found a friend of the family shop to put it in pritty cheap.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
another question, if i get GTZ gears, will they fit in my 4 cyl trans? if so, will that also fix the problem of it not lasting long? what are you opinios on doing that? thanx for all your help.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
v6z24e said:
another question, if i get GTZ gears, will they fit in my 4 cyl trans? if so, will that also fix the problem of it not lasting long? what are you opinios on doing that? thanx for all your help.
the GTZ gears are actually in a HM282 tranny which is the same case as the V6 HM282.. so no, they won't fit in your isuzu tranny. Sorry

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so if i got the whole GTZ trans, would i be able to jsut put that in since its in the same case as the V6 trans, cuz i hear of people swapping the gears, but never just puttin a gtz trans to their 3.1, so im assuming not. would that be possible?
again, thanks for all the help, i realize i have a lot of questions and i apprecite all the help i can get.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
v6z24e said:
so if i got the whole GTZ trans, would i be able to jsut put that in since its in the same case as the V6 trans, cuz i hear of people swapping the gears, but never just puttin a gtz trans to their 3.1, so im assuming not. would that be possible?
again, thanks for all the help, i realize i have a lot of questions and i apprecite all the help i can get.
i have a whole GTZ tranny in my Z... trust me, behind a 3.1 it'll be a complete waste of time and money. You'll have to split the case and attach a HM282 V6 Bell housing.. if you've never done tranny work before then you probably shouldn't mess with that part, it can be tricky.

those gears are made to keep a high RPM engine in it's power band, like the quad 4, and 3x00's.. you'll probably blow up the 3.1 with it :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.