J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here's the deal my transmission fluid is all foamy so i go to a local transmission shop(which i know for a fack is VERY good, ppl come from very far to get their trannys fixed there) annyways the guy tells me that the reason it is foamy is because the transmission is takign in air somewhere, he says check your bolts....ok and check the filer,...question is where is the filter???

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Its located in the tranny pan.

·
Premium Member
11,738 Posts
Yeah...take out all 4 million bolts. You'll also have to refill your tranny fluid and put in a new gasket. Not in that order though :wink:

·
Registered
837 Posts
you have to drop the tranny pan. it's a messy job, but it's not that complicated.

take the bolts out and try to catch as much of the fluid as you can in some sort of drain pan. after you get the tranny pan off, unbolt and pull the filter out. put the new filter in, clean the mating surfaces up nicely, and use the (usually cork-like) tranny pan gasket and/or RTV sealant then bolt the tranny pan back up.

·
Premium Member
11,738 Posts
Well...the only way to find that out is to do it. Be careful not to overfill it when you do refill it. If it gets foamy again...get it looked at.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Let me give you my $0.02 here..

Like it has been said 100000 times on this board, overfilling the trans can cause the fluid to go foamy.

Before you drop the pan.. Usually, if the filter to body connection is sucking air, the trans likes to slip a little. Very noticable when going around a corner.

Also, pull out the dipstick and take a good whiff of the fluid. If it smells really burnt, and is dark in color, do yourself a favor - Leave the pan on, the fluid in, and start looking for a good used tranny. Burned up transmissions don't like fresh, thin fluid too much - they start slipping like all hell, and sometimes won't go anywhere.

- Frank

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so the tranny did start slipping, just a little but the fluid seems to be the right colour (from what i remember) and it smells.....like oil, not burnt. So question is do i drop the pan or not and if i do is there anything i should do while i'm in there other than change the gasket and the filter

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
well the fluid should be a nice pink color. If it's brown it's bad. And exactly what 88ragtop said will happen.

The hole process of changing the tranny pan (providing you have easy access to the pan i.e. your car is on a lift or something similar) should take about 15-20 minutes. You take out the 22 (I think) 10mm bolts holding the pan on pop the old filter out Put the new one in and bolt it back up. And don't torqe them down but get them good and snug, After a couple days check them again since sometimes they have a tendency to come loose again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.