J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a 91 cavalier with a 2.2L in it and the transmission dont shift from first to second untill 30 mph and then dont shift again until 60mph. i jst changed the fluid and filter and put lucas oil in it and it still does it. it acts like it is in passing gear i was wandering if there was anything i could do to fix it. is there anything i could replace that would help

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
how high do the rpms get before shifting?

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
well he said he had a 2.2 and so it won't have a tach but there might be a sticking shift valve or something to do with the vavle body, have u tried just driving it shifting 1-2-D manually, can you make it shift earlier or not.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
i wouldnt recomend shifting it manually, too much strain on the tranny. have you tried adjusting the tv cable? Does the car slip when shifting? Also you have to remeber you only have a 3spd tranny. And if your flooring it of course it wont shift till higher mph.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Brad & Soup are on the money for sure. You need to start by checking the TV cable. It may need adjustment, but, if your shift points are that out of whack, I'd bet that it may have broken or came disconnected.

If you don't know how to adjust it, post back and I'll see if I can type up the procedure from the Helm's manual. Its not too difficult of a procedure.

- Frank

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
there may also be a how to that will help you, check it out!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.