J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
the same stuff as before? Obviously you just have to extend the wires going from the battery to the starter(a lot), and i'd just ground the bettery in the trunk, and ground the engine to the frame with something better than that braided junk that's stock :p

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
and if your going to race at a NHRA sanctioned track, you need a sealed battery box and kill switch

but ya you just run the battery + to the starter (4 gauge or bigger) and ground to the trunk at the thickest metal you find

get some wire loom for added protection, and definately use a grommet anywhere it passes through metal

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well sounds like i have everything hooked up ok. i have 4 terminals going to the big stud on the starter. does that sound right? i tried to start it and it clicked and blew the ign fuse but i forgot to hook the alt to the starter. now it doesn't do anything but the fuel pump works now. and i replaced the fuse. also can i ground the engine from the tranny to the frame. i just did a 3.1/3400 swap and 5 speed conversion and i am having some trouble remember where all the grounds went. i think that might be some of my problem. im sure once i get it all worked out i'll be like duh! lol

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
ya make sure theres a good ground from the engine/tranny to the frame rail. theres some studs on the tranny that are good for this..

I've been there too where I was doing so much wiring I forgot what went where lol

the alternator - starter wire I upgraded to 8 gauge during this time, you may want to consider that

as far as not starting im not sure. I didnt have any trouble with that. make sure that 1 seperate small (forget what its called) wire on the starter is connected too...

and theres some grounds that goto the front & back of the tranny

hope that helps lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.