J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I had some questions about the differences between the 3.1L and 3.1L Turbo. What would it take to get the Turbo to bolt onto my engine? I realize it is really hard to find a 3.1L Turbo( I haven't seen one yet at least). So I thought if you couldn't get the whole engine maybe you could buy the parts. I could get the T-25 Turbo from Garrett or a distributor who sells Garrett turbo's probably. That would solve the Turbo. But where would I get all the parts to attach it? A Chevy dealer? And would it be possible or does the Turbo setup need more clearance in the engine bay? Just a thought. IF you think it is possible say so, and if it isn't then I guess I would have to search long and hard for a 3.1L Turbo or get the supercharger.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
You can compare the differences between the NA 3.1 and the turbo 3.1 by checking out my Specs Page

Your best bet would be to get the entire engine, as the compression ratio is slightly lower with a beafier bottom end. But yes, it is hard to find the engine in a junked car. Raceshop makes a turbo as well as the supercharger. Maybe if you found a turbo elseware, you could get just the mounting and plumbing parts from them? That would still end up being expensive, but so will parts from the dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Turbo runs off the exhaust, right? How would one go about putting a turbocharger on the regular 3.1? And, of course, how much money are we talking about here?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Yes, turbo runs off the exhaust gases. Supercharger off the accessory drive belt.
You would need a custom exhaust crossover pipe to hook the turbo into. You could use the one off the TGP, but they are notorious for breaking. Of course the part is discontinued my GM, so it is hard to find and expensive to purchase. Fortunately, there is someone who makes an aftermarket version of the pipe, selling for $375. Of course this is not all the piping you would need. You would need additional custom piping as well. It is going to be expensive no matter how you do it. The kit that raceshop is selling goes for $3500. I know you could get it cheaper by fabricating all the parts yourself, but that wont be easy.

Here are the only 2 pics I have been able to find of the 3.1L Turbo from the Grand Prix

·
Registered
221 Posts
It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine. I'm checking all the boneyards almost weekly to try to find one of those. I don't care if I have to put it in myself, I need some bragging rights. =]
Does the engine really have to be set as far back as depicted? I don't want to have to lose my sway bar.

[ This Message was edited by: antipode on 2001-08-06 02:36 ]

·
Registered
479 Posts
So you do you all mean to tell me that there is no way to turbocharge a Z24 for $700 US or under?

-Devin (Has a feeling is going to made a fool of...)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Anyone know where I could find a turbo for my 2.8? I can't seem to find them anywhere...and I'm running out of options to pull HP from my engine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
what was the engine in the sunbird (or sunfire) GT? I have seen one before, it was older, like mid 80's and it said "Turbo" on it. is that a 3.1? or a 2.8?

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
If you want turbo info on a Z......check out Curtis Walkers website......at http://www.turboz24.com
That is some time and effort

[ This Message was edited by: nfstyl on 2001-11-25 23:11 ]

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
Yup Luke...........we're coming out full swing
Ready to take over.......no offense moon

·
Registered
133 Posts
OK, I know Curtis Walker personally and we discuss this at least 100 times a week, ok, ok, maybe 99 times a week, as he is helping me with my turbo installation. Here is what you will need for the 3.1L turbo swap:

1) The rear exhaust manifold off the TGP
2) The larger injectors on the TGP
3) The ECM from the TGP (can get a ship for it too which adds more HP)
4) Customized exhaust pipe routing for the turbo.
5) Maybe the Crank because I think it is a stonger crank in the TGP
6) Of course a Garrett T25 (not the ones from the eclipses, the a/r ratio is way too small)
7) Aftermarket intercooler, the TGP intercooler is wa too large to fit anywhere under our hood, plus, it is not as efficient as an aftermarket one
One hell of a re-wiring job!
9) PATIENCE!!

I would not recommend adding a turbo to your stock engine as it may blow eventually. I don't think you could turbo your Z24 with less than $700 unless you have hook-ups. I am in the process of rebuilding a 3.1L from the bottom up then adding the turbo to it...total expect it to set you back 2000-2200 dollars total.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Newsflash all the internals on a 3.1 NT are the same as the McLaren Turbo 3.1. Ripped the 3.1 out of my 89 GP and bought a 3.1 turbo and rebuilt one good turbo motor from the 2. Installed in my base model 93 Cavi, and its still pushing the top end at 130 wich isnt all that great considering the difference in weight between the grandprix and the cavi, and in its youth took the GP to 128mph tops. At 202 HP on a 12 year old motor that started at 205 isnt really that much of a loss considering the rebuild I expected more from the motor once in the Cavi but this is all I can get. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
The Crank IS different. It is stronger. That is the only internal difference.

I find it a little hard to believe anything you say, when you flat out already admitted to BS's about the Altezza's...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ummm.....The TGP had a hardened crank. The internal are basically the same, but if you arelooking for more power, get a more aggressive Cam, an efficient aftermarket intercooler, bore it, head work, and port it. You will be pushing 250HP easily. But caution, you may want to upgrade to a T03 turbo because the T25 is only good for around 250HP.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an 89 cavalier and I have purchased a 3.1 turbo. I am looking to double the power the 3.1 turbo has stock and am looking for some advice on how to accomplish my goal.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
I have a suggestion for 1phatcav: Try actually finding one and putting it in your car. It will probably make more power than your make believe one :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.