J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, you'll find no pics yet. :p

I finally conned my girlfriend into letting me swap a 3400 into her POS Z24, and a few days later, I conned her into letting me swap in a built 3400 with a turbo (by telling her she can drive my mazda, lol).

So, I've been planning things out and I think I have a good lead on a 3400 with 9k miles on it, gonna be buying it for $450. What I'm looking at doing is rebuilding the engine with ported heads and manifolds (which I've already got set up, hopefully), strengthened internals (pushrods, valve springs, rocker arms, pistons, crankshaft, etc.) some custom equal length headers which I've already got a head start on, as well as a full 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust. I'm also getting the block bored and honed, getting the heads resurfaced and maybe o-ringed (for metal head gasket) and I'm going to be building a custom 'ram-air' style intake.

I have a few questions, but mainly I'm looking for any suggestions or tips for the process. Such as what parts would be best for running 12psi (which is my goal, and it may go up to 14 as time passes) and whatnot. Most of my turbo experience has been with bolting pre-fab kits onto four cylinder engines, so any suggestions on building a custom kit for a V6 would be MUCH APPRECIATED.

I was looking at using a Greddy T78, most likely mounted in the now empty battery space--anybody see a problem with the fit? If not, any suggestions for a turbo that might be better? I'm also going to be using a Greddy intercooler which is actually meant for an Evo with my own IC piping.

So that's it. I would love to know (from those of you who have done this or something similar) what kind of parts you're using, and what seems to work the best, or what works like crap.

Anyone?

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
forged pistons and ls6 springs are a must for reliable high boost.

personally I consider the other things optional (to a certain point) but your call

you can fit a huge snail where the battery used to be trust me I would know :lol:

good luck

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
t-78? seems a little large for the street. a smaller t3/t4 like a te-44 with a .63 turbine housing will yeild lower spool up time.
I thought about that too, but a buddy of mine has a T-78 on his RX8 and it was like a dream. It spooled a little slower than what I'm used to, but once you hit about 4500rpm..ZING, off you go. Although some may say a rotary engine is far from a six cylinder, lol. But I'll definitely check into a smaller turbo.

God I wish I had the patience and the experience to figure out a way to make a twin turbo set-up for it. :lol:

forged pistons and ls6 springs are a must for reliable high boost.

personally I consider the other things optional (to a certain point) but your call

you can fit a huge snail where the battery used to be trust me I would know

good luck
True, while most of the things I'll be doing aren't necessary at all, it will still be fun to see how much power I can squeeze out of it. :pimp:

Thanks for the suggestions you guys!

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
One thing you neglected to mention was how you're going to tune the car. I'd suggest using Tunerpro RT and an Ostrich with the tgp code. Many people seem to have good luck with it. Or you can get a MegaSquirt unit and tune with their software. Or you can buy a FMU and a little bit bigger injectors and tune the a/f with that. I happen to have an FMU available if your interested. It's hardly been used and worked great on my Fiero.

Oh and that T78 turbo just seems extremely big. I'd go with a "small" t4 or t3/t4 hybrid. Just look at Scott's and Midnightriderz24's registries. They seem to have things worked out pretty good and are making good power. I'm thinking of using one of the "ebay" t70 turbos. My buddy has one and is making good power with his KA-T 240sx. He hasnt had any problems with it yet. :-? Not bad for $250.

-Joseph

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
fallenz24 said:
I'm thinking of using one of the "ebay" t70 turbos. My buddy has one and is making good power with his KA-T 240sx. He hasnt had any problems with it yet. :-? Not bad for $250.

-Joseph
im actually thinking of doing the same 8)

<LINK_TEXT text="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-60-1- ... dZViewItem">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-60-1-AR70-BIG-SHAFT-63-TRIM-T3-FLANGE-TURBO-CHARGER_W0QQitemZ120163446313QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem</LINK_TEXT>

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I hadn't really put MUCH thought into tuning. I was looking into getting an E-manage unit from GReddy with a 6-cylinder RPM adapter, but something tells me it won't be that easy.

But I had looked into MegaSquirt a little bit, if I don't go with that I'll definitely be checking out Ostrich.

In other news, I may be going with a Nissan SR20DET motor.

Just kidding. :lol: <SIZE size="59">but man would it be awesome to have</SIZE>

Seriously, I may be going with a 3500 top end, if not the whole 3500. A few months back, I was in the middle of swapping a built 3500 into the same car and I hit a couple of snags and ended up selling. So would it make more sense to use the 3500 top end or just use the whole engine? I've also decided that in order to cut costs, I'm not going to be getting the heads o-ringed. O-rung? I don't know, but either way, it ain't happening.

Since I'm already 1/3 of the way done on the headers I started for a 3400, if I decide to go with a 3500 (or top end) would the headers still work without problems?

God, I should have just stuck with four bangers. :lol:

Thanks again, guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.