J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanted to get a supercharger because you don't have to deal with lag. but i was told a turbo charger will give me more power, and you can adjust the lag so that it doesn't really matter. does anyone know which would be the best and most powerful? and where can i find one?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok. i know this has been discussed before. i read the other topics on it. but i still don't know which would be better, turbo or super. so any reply on that would be cool. thanks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've heard turbos use like 10% of the car's power to produce 100% boost, while superchargers use 50% to produce 100% boost. Turbos are upgradeable, supers are not. Turbos have lag, but that lag can be eliminated or almost so by either using a small shot of NoS or shifting later. I think.

·
Registered
69 Posts
A super is is instant power, it is upgradable, you can up the boost by switching to a smaller pulley, it is however not as tunable as a turbo in which if its rigged nicely can switch boost from any preset psi to any preset psi, you can get around lag by using hybrids. If youre serious about power a t3 or t3/t4 hybrid would be good, and PLEASE build youre engine before you turbo it, theres nothing as fun as cracked/ warped heads and various other things that can happen to an aging and unsuited engine when under boost.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
A supercharger uses power to make power. Since it runs off the accessory drive, it robs some power from the engine in order to turn the pulley. So for example, you may lose 10 HP from having to turn the supercharger, but the supercharger generates an extra 50 HP, so your net gain is 40HP.

A turbo on the other hand runs off the exhaust gas, which is waste from the engine, so it doesn't rob power to make power, it instead uses this "wasted" power. The turbo won't make full boost at low RPM's like a supercharger will, though, because there isn't enough exhaust flowing, which is why there is generally some lag. If you do things right, and have the right size turbo for the engine, the lag can be negligible.

So basically, given any certain PSI boost, the turbo will generate more power at that boost. Turbo boost can be controlled with a computer and a wastgate, so you could increase boost with a touch of a button from inside the car if you wanted to. That is why on many cars that come with a stock turbo, the boost can be increased by just getting a reprogrammed chip. With a supercharger, as mentioned, you would have to change the pulley and get a smaller belt to increase the boost. The smaller the pulley, the faster it turns, the more boost you get.

A supercharger would probably be simpler to install, since it basically just sits on top of the engine with some custom brackets and such. A turbo install is pretty extensive, since you have to tap into the exhaust manifold and such. An intercooler, which would help a lot, complicates things even more, involving even more custom piping. A small one can be mounted in front of and below the radiator, right behind the air-dam in the bumper.

Check out http://www.raceshop2000.com for some kits.

Ok, I just wrote a lot. Hope something in there helps you out

·
Registered
364 Posts
Supercharger for Cavalier 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation New batch at the end of summer 3500$ US with intercool(RESURVE YOUR NOW) (199HP)

3,500 dollars!?!?!? I almost choked when I read that. Someone up in Canada is smoking too much crack...that's way too much money. I wouldn't spend more than a grand, MAYBE 1,500...not 35 hundred bucks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks moon, that helps a lot. i went to raceshop and i couldn't find the turbo kits. i went to product line, but i don't know any companies that make them. if you could, let me know. i appreciate it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just in case anyone else misunderstood that 210 HP figure like I did...

I just realised... That's 210 WHEEL HP with the racetech kit. Which would mean maybe around 270 HP from the engine? It sounds a lot better when you think of it that way. Especially if that works on an unmodified stock engine.

I'm in the early stages of considering supercharging my car. I was thinking i would look for the thunderbird SC supercharger I've read will work on our cars, and do a relatively simple install for a decent power gain. Enough so I don't look stupid when my cousin gets his 98 Z28.

On a stock engine, what kind of horsepower gain could I get, staying in the safe limits of the engine, and what things would have to be changed to accomodate a small supercharger, like say 5PSI boost? Any info would really be appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.