J-Body Automobiles Forum banner

V8 in a 2nd Gen

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  onyx369 
#1 ·
I used to have an 88 Z24 on here. Sadly, it died and I junked it about 4 years ago. I have since moved on to bigger and better things.

I miss that damn car and plan on buying another one. Anyone on here throw a 350 in their 2nd gen? I've seen one or two but can't find them online. I've seen 1st gens with 350s, though. In a couple years I want to grab up a cheap 2nd gen (not that difficult), and start converting it. RWD conversion, maybe an LT1 if I can get my hands on one, or a 1st gen sbc. I currently have a 94 TA with a 5.7L LT1. I'm building that up into a Turbo 383 Stroker so can't use that motor.

Will the 4L60e fit? What about a Turbo 350/400? It would be such a sleeper... I'm so excited! Any help, links, guides, pictures, videos are welcome. Thanks!

#13 ·
Sexystud- You used an S10 frame/chassis? Why?

Conveniently, I'm being given an 89 S10 with a 2.8 (fi) so just wondering. Anyway, I will probably go with a carb motor, maybe a turbo 350, and my Trans Am's 7.5" rear. Stock rims should fit on that, right? I'd also probably use the stock u-joints and driveshaft from my T/A.

I really want the car to appear as stock as possible, and I want to get a Maaco flat black paint job with stock rims. When I was 16-17 I really wanted that fx-designs body kit, but I may stay away from it now. I don't know. I small spoiler would be cool, and that ram air hood looks BA!

I'm not looking to make a racecar or show car, just something to haul ass in. It's a poor investment and it'll be strictly for me and my friends' amusement. However, it'll be fun! I am on a strict-ass budget with this. I'm sure I could get a roller for $500 or less, and engine/drivetrain for under a grand.

Anyone know of any good writeups about this?

#19 ·
Auto would be boring. A T-56 would be so much better. A project I want to jump start a bit earlier then this is a 91-92 Camaro with an LS1 and a T-56. That'll be a fun cruise/track car/mullet machine.

The Z24 would def. be a sleeper. I just can't justify using an S10 chassis. I'm surprised this isn't more of a common thing with these cars. Screw the crappy 3.4 swaps, there's no replacement for displacement! lol.

Although, when I was 16 and just got the car, I wanted to do a 3.1 Turbo or 3.8. 3.8's make sick power and in such a light car...win!

Gimme some more ideas guys. It may put my Camaro project on hold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.